MCAT Q style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrakdavra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MCAT question about approaching some of the questions for example;

Why are X preferable to Y?
Will an MCAT answer be more about the advantages of X or disadvantages of Y ???

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question

You mean in general, will the correct answer be more about X or more about Y?

I bet it varies....

I have an MCAT question about approaching some of the questions for example;

Why are X preferable to Y?
Will an MCAT answer be more about the advantages of X or disadvantages of Y ???

If it is asking me why X is good, then the answer should be about X
If the answer covers how bad is Y, or that Y is the worst thing ever.. that still does not tell me why X is good.
Also, If Y is good that does not tell me why X is good.

However, If X and Y are related then it can vary....

I found 2 like this since you brought it up.

One was a VR that said something like:
The author thinks X is more powerful than Y. Which of these would weaken his argument the most:
Correct answer weakened X but I chose an answer that strengthened Y and that was wrong because of exactly what you're saying

But then I found one in BS that said something like:
Which of the following is the strongest support for the hypothesis that this disease is genetic?
Correct answer was a negative data, in other words, it was something proving that it was not environmental. The wrong answer that I chose was about a cellular defect which seems directly connected to genetics to me. :confused:

I found 2 like this since you brought it up.

One was a VR that said something like:
The author thinks X is more powerful than Y. Which of these would weaken his argument the most:
Correct answer weakened X but I chose an answer that strengthened Y and that was wrong because of exactly what you're saying

But then I found one in BS that said something like:
Which of the following is the strongest support for the hypothesis that this disease is genetic?
Correct answer was a negative data, in other words, it was something proving that it was not environmental. The wrong answer that I chose was about a cellular defect which seems directly connected to genetics to me. :confused:

The first Q is not the same , but they want something that weaken the argument, also for verbal reasoning just listen to the author and forget about everything else.

For BS, I think the first two sentences of the sciences passages tells us something important about the main idea, and most of the time one or two questions will be related to the main idea of the passage and not our own science knowledge. :cool: