MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SqB

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As April approaches, how is everyone preparing for the MCAT? I am planning to take a Kaplan course beginning in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is the way to go. I would reccommend you find a Kaplan center which is close to your home. In order to get the most out of the center you need to live close by. Take full advantage of the practice tests and videos that are provided by Kaplan. Success on the MCAT's involves preparation and practice. Kaplan offers both. Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

Yeah, I really liked Kaplan -- I got a great MCAT score, and I don't think I could have done it without a good review program.

However, I'm sure that you can do well with any review course -- there are a lot out there now!

I'd also recommend trying to take a lighter course-load while studying for the MCAT. Studying for the MCAT is like adding a 4 or 5 unit course!

Good Luck,
Lee

Members don't see this ad :)
jot, how in the world did you find this old thread without search? :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Matthew:
•Kaplan is the way to go. I would reccommend you find a Kaplan center which is close to your home. In order to get the most out of the center you need to live close by. Take full advantage of the practice tests and videos that are provided by Kaplan. Success on the MCAT's involves preparation and practice. Kaplan offers both. Good luck. If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]•••••I agree with Matthew 100%. I took Kaplan twice. The first time around I went to the classes but didn't take enough practice tests and wasn't ready for the April test. The second time around (only a nominal fee if it's within the year when you first took it) I used the videos, which feature their best teachers, and their other materials, and took lots of practice tests. Good luck to all the August MCAT takers!! :)

I liked Kaplan a lot too. I thought their PS practice sections were hard as hell... but I really believe they were what helped me get a 12 in PS (twice :) )

hah its the very first thread i think. no searching - would be inane. i half-heartedly back kaplan all the way.
-jot

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jot:
•hah its the very first thread i think. no searching - would be inane.
-jot•••••yeah, but how did you find it? :confused:

cool signature, btw. :)

Kaplan was very good. Make sure you live no futher than 20-30 minutes away from a Kaplan center and utilize all the resources in the center. If you take all the tests and read the explanations and understand them there is no way you will score below a 30.

I agree completely with Lee A Burnett in that you better plan a pretty light load in spring of 2003 because studying for MCAT takes alot of your time.

P.S. If you are going to take an MCAT prep course for the April 2003 MCAT why not register now and get the books and study over the summer so you can get your science concepts down! Do not start studying 3 months before the MCAT because all your science concepts will be jumbled up in your head.

hey- ask yourself first if you're pretty disciplined. if you can sit down and study without having the structure of kaplan. b/c if you can-- i think you can totally get a better score if you don't take the class and you have the books. here's why...

i took the course the 1st time-- which was like 5 or 6 years ago- and it was great.. i learned alot. but i just did OK- getting a 28. I think that was mainly due to nerves b/c i was consistently getting a 33.

But now i took it in april- studied completely on my own and improved by 10 points-- I used an eclectic mix of materials ranging from the mcat books from kaplan, nova's mcat physics book, and some examkrackers materials. without the strict schedule, and with your own flaming desire to rock the exam, i think you basically push yourself to learn as much as you can, and you aren't limited by the 'this is what you need to know' attitude of kaplan. in kaplan, i think it's easy to think... "ok if i checked off the boxes in this kaplan thing-- i'm ok.. i've done enough" . with your own study plan, you are constantly motivated to keep going and keep learning. plus you get a taste of different materials instead of being overloaded on kaplan stuff. i think it's always good to get different perspectives. where the majority of my knowledge came from the kaplan books- i did take great things from nova's mcat physics book and great pointers from exam krackers material as well.

well pm me if you have any specific questions.. but i think u should save the 1400 bucks and just light a fire under your butt to shoot for a 40. don't shoot for a 30... shoot for the stars and hey- you'll land on the moon.

dave

I need to increase my score about 10 points on the MCAT. I am not sure what else I need to be doing. I am studying but not too hard. I have bought books and have taken practice tests. Not sure what else I can do in the next 5 days but I am asking for any tips that anyone has. I would really appreciate any help, the more specific the better. And no help is too small. I will take all I can.

I am just a little frustrated because I am doing all I can and my improvement seems to be nonexistent.

I need to increase my score about 10 points on the MCAT. I am not sure what else I need to be doing. I am studying but not too hard. I have bought books and have taken practice tests. Not sure what else I can do in the next 5 days but I am asking for any tips that anyone has. I would really appreciate any help, the more specific the better. And no help is too small. I will take all I can.

I am just a little frustrated because I am doing all I can and my improvement seems to be nonexistent.

Wow, you just revived a thread that's been dead for 6 years!! Check out the MCAT subforum... lots of great info there :)

EDIT: Didn't notice the "5 days" part. Yeah, 10 points in that amount of time is a little unrealistic. And by a little, I mean a lot. Maybe you need to cancel and take it later?

Last edited:
you can't improve your score 10 points in 5 days.

:laugh: Since this thread was started, we've established a forum just for talking about MCAT and preparation for that test.

Now that you've bumped it awake, I'll move it over there where it will be more at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.