MCAT prep help for non traditional non science student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graciala

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
its been a difficult year already for this non science and non traditional student prepping for Mcat. I am so confused don't even know where to start. I am studying for mcat and seems to have zero content knowledge. Everything looks foreign to me. Don't understand majority of the stuff its becoming frustrating. I bought kaplan online prep plus and just sits in the class without learning much, all because my content is all but gone. Its soo bad that I even have to start reviewing periodic tables symbols and atomic numbers,,,,,,, kaplan diagnostic test was 479, and MCAT FL 480 as diagnostic too (took it b4 starting any prep just to see where am at, honestly it was mostly guessing!!)

Background: 1st degree in Accounting, and MBA, then did all my PA school prerequisites at community college (last class 2008 I did ochem part 1 but not part 2, also dropped out of biochem class because it was tough and PA school didn't need it) . cGPA 3.6. Being a PA for almost 10 yrs now but the science content is still different & lacking. My community college classes were not strong enough at the time and since I wasn't a science student I only had to push myself to get good grades into PA school first. I work everyday unfortunately but now taking a day off.

Now forget about all the excuses which are not needed. Please also no need to ask why not stay as PA.

how can I prepare for this mcat?, how should I start studying and building my content before even trying practice test (which is always the best way from my PA exam experience but after having some moderate content knowledge)?

retake ochem /bio chem class? (gosh I don't have that much time to now take 2days minimum to take these classes whilst prepping too,,,,, get a private tutor? Does kaplan 1:1 works?

continuing watching khan aca, stick with kaplan prep bks/class, youtube videos (professordaveexplains, ,,,,,,,.

I just need pointers,,,,, It will be great to have friends or group of guys in the same situation but have none at the moment.

some few schools are willing to offer me interview/admission if am able to crack even 500 mcat score

thanks guys it will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The Khan Academy videos can be just as useful as taking a formal course, so I would use those if you need a full content review. Don't rush it- try to build a good foundation on content before doing practice. This might look like 4+ months of content review and 2 months of practice, but remember that there are 11 semesters worth of information on the MCAT, so it's worth devoting the time to.

I wouldn't worry too much about your diagnostic tests right now. It's like you said, most of it was guessing, which just means you need to review your science.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I am struggling with the same thing as you are. Would you be interested in studying for the MCAT together? Idk when you plan on taking it but I have Kaplan books, Khan Academy as resources. I was planning on taking my MCAT in June 2020 but I feel unprepared and am willing to push my test date back.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Don’t fret. The MCAT is hard but there are a ton of resources for you to get yourself ahead of the game. If you really feel like you don’t know where to start, take a prep course. If you want a non-book resource, I recommend Pixorize MCAT. It’s $25 for a 6 month subscription (use code: SARAHMCAT at checkout to get the $25) and can help you learn with visual mnemonics that you will not forget on test day! It’s a cheap and super useful source. Let me know if you have questions. You’ve got this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am struggling with the same thing as you are. Would you be interested in studying for the MCAT together? Idk when you plan on taking it but I have Kaplan books, Khan Academy as resources. I was planning on taking my MCAT in June 2020 but I feel unprepared and am willing to push my test date back.

yes lets do it , which state are u? am in southern california though

The Khan Academy videos can be just as useful as taking a formal course, so I would use those if you need a full content review. Don't rush it- try to build a good foundation on content before doing practice. This might look like 4+ months of content review and 2 months of practice, but remember that there are 11 semesters worth of information on the MCAT, so it's worth devoting the time to.

I wouldn't worry too much about your diagnostic tests right now. It's like you said, most of it was guessing, which just means you need to review your science.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

what do you also think about some of these linkage programs to medical schools like MMS, post bac that has connection to their medical school?
It is still risk and expensive, and you still have to pass or get mcat score over 500. So makes me believe the best strategy is to find a way to study the MCAT

If you're in Southern California, take a look at the Berkeley Review classes. You won't find a better physics/chemistry instructor anywhere else. Even if you don't take the class, I still recommend getting his books.

With all your questions, I'd focus on setting a realistic goal of how long it will take to prepare for the MCAT, and then create a study schedule to get you to that goal. There are plenty of schedules on SDN that you can use as a foundation. Don't be intimidated by all that you have to do. Break it into smaller parts and it will seem a lot more doable.

[/QUOTE
yes lets do it , which state are u? am in southern california though

Hey guys, I’m also a non-science major student. And I want to start learning MCAT without any previous knowledge learning. Do you wanna study together? Maybe through group chat or something?

Reactions: 1 users
I am also struggling with the MCAT! i was a biochemistry major in college but I didn’t do super well. Now I am trying to study for a Julyish date, with a full time job! If you are looking for study partners or if a study group comes out of this thread count me in!

its been a difficult year already for this non science and non traditional student prepping for Mcat. I am so confused don't even know where to start. I am studying for mcat and seems to have zero content knowledge. Everything looks foreign to me. Don't understand majority of the stuff its becoming frustrating. I bought kaplan online prep plus and just sits in the class without learning much, all because my content is all but gone. Its soo bad that I even have to start reviewing periodic tables symbols and atomic numbers,,,,,,, kaplan diagnostic test was 479, and MCAT FL 480 as diagnostic too (took it b4 starting any prep just to see where am at, honestly it was mostly guessing!!)

Background: 1st degree in Accounting, and MBA, then did all my PA school prerequisites at community college (last class 2008 I did ochem part 1 but not part 2, also dropped out of biochem class because it was tough and PA school didn't need it) . cGPA 3.6. Being a PA for almost 10 yrs now but the science content is still different & lacking. My community college classes were not strong enough at the time and since I wasn't a science student I only had to push myself to get good grades into PA school first. I work everyday unfortunately but now taking a day off.

Now forget about all the excuses which are not needed. Please also no need to ask why not stay as PA.

how can I prepare for this mcat?, how should I start studying and building my content before even trying practice test (which is always the best way from my PA exam experience but after having some moderate content knowledge)?

retake ochem /bio chem class? (gosh I don't have that much time to now take 2days minimum to take these classes whilst prepping too,,,,, get a private tutor? Does kaplan 1:1 works?

continuing watching khan aca, stick with kaplan prep bks/class, youtube videos (professordaveexplains, ,,,,,,,.

I just need pointers,,,,, It will be great to have friends or group of guys in the same situation but have none at the moment.

some few schools are willing to offer me interview/admission if am able to crack even 500 mcat score

thanks guys it will be much appreciated.
I thought I was the only one with this exact type of a problem. my case though is different, because I have a 9 years of Chemistry Background. I speak 3 Languages, though English was not my first language, it was a Language of instruction in college. I am a College Chemistry instructor, I know this may sound like a perfect MCAT candidate but folks I am struggling.
I just wish I could get over 500 score because, I believe as a non-traditional applicant and since I am now a Refugee Medical Interpreter here in Ohio for refugees from Africa, my USA Graduate School Chemistry GPA of 3.72 may be a booster considering what I have in my resume.