MCAT or GAMSAT. Which one is easier ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT VS GAMSAT ! Which test is easier ?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies from person to person, but I'd definitely say that the GAMSAT is easier. The MCAT tests more background knowledge, while the GAMSAT is almost entirely based on critical reasoning ability. If you spend a lot of time studying, you might prefer the MCAT. I don't study much at all, so I think the GAMSAT is friendlier to me.

Depends what your strengths and weaknesses are.

I haven't sat the MCAT but the general consensus is that GAMSAT is more a test of logical reasoning (even in the science section, such that you can't really 'study' for the GAMSAT unless you lack 1st yr university level knowledge in chem/bio/physics), while the MCAT is more a test of your knowledge (which means you can study for it).

A good way to judge the difficulty of the two tests would be to have a cohort of candidates who have sat both, and compare their percentile ranking in each test. My guess would be that the same candidate may score a lower percentile rank in MCAT (ie harder), mostly due to the tougher competition for med school spots in North America.

However not many people have sat both, so we may never know for sure.. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They both require a considerable amount of effort to obtain a high score. If you do not get at least a 30 on the MCAT or a 60 on the GAMSAT, you will have a tough time getting into an Australian medical school. UQ took a few people who had scores below that but they applied early.

The best thing to do is to take a practice test and see how you do on each one. The nice thing about the MCAT is that it's available on 20 different dates in hundreds of different locations, while the GAMSAT is only available once a year at 1-2 places in North America.

Thanks for the advices guys :)