MCAT improvement for reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetcarnameddesire

let me be a doctor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this past cycle with a 506 and a 3.55 cGPA. (I didn’t get my score back until I had already submitted my primaries so I just thought I’d go ahead and try.) well anyway, I’ve been rejected from most places and waitlisted at a few, so I am trying to improve my chances for next cycle. I’ve been performing very well in my neuroscience masters program (GPA is 3.92) so I am hoping that will help me with the GPA aspect, but I need to get my mcat up into the 90th percentile. Last time, I used PR for practice exams and studying, but does anyone have some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What was the breakdown of your MCAT score? Need more detail on your practice material choices and schedule, and any other affecting factors on your performance.

Reactions: 1 user
What was the breakdown of your MCAT score? Need more detail on your practice material choices and schedule, and any other affecting factors on your performance.

125/128/126/127 (phys/cars/bio/psych)

Spring semester of my senior year, only had class on Tues/Thursday so I took two full length exams per week to build stamina and become more familiar. Usually one one Friday and one on Sunday or Monday. On Wednesdays, I read from the PR books and took detailed notes. I also saw a PR physics tutor who really didn’t help me all that much. So this was from Jan through early May, and I took the exam May 14th

Regarding your FLs, what did you do to review them afterwards?

Besides your FLs, what did you do in terms of practice problems, passages, etc?

I ask because your study approach seemed to be a primarily passive approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding your FLs, what did you do to review them afterwards?

Besides your FLs, what did you do in terms of practice problems, passages, etc?

I ask because your study approach seemed to be a primarily passive approach.
I did all the questions in the in-class review book from PR and I reviewed my wrong answers from the exams but probably should spend more time working through those

I applied this past cycle with a 506 and a 3.55 cGPA. (I didn’t get my score back until I had already submitted my primaries so I just thought I’d go ahead and try.) well anyway, I’ve been rejected from most places and waitlisted at a few, so I am trying to improve my chances for next cycle. I’ve been performing very well in my neuroscience masters program (GPA is 3.92) so I am hoping that will help me with the GPA aspect, but I need to get my mcat up into the 90th percentile. Last time, I used PR for practice exams and studying, but does anyone have some advice?
Go look at the threads where people scored super-high on the MCAT. From what I remember those people started super-early, and had a plan that they stuck with. don't fall into the trap of optimizing the problem and not the solution (spending too much time looking for the "perfect" book set instead of actually getting down to studying).

Reactions: 1 user
Go look at the threads where people scored super-high on the MCAT. From what I remember those people started super-early, and had a plan that they stuck with. don't fall into the trap of optimizing the problem and not the solution (spending too much time looking for the "perfect" book set instead of actually getting down to studying).
Just trying to figure out what to incorporate into my plan. Gotta start somewhere

I did all the questions in the in-class review book from PR and I reviewed my wrong answers from the exams but probably should spend more time working through those

Sorry to disappoint you, but you did maybe ~25% of the work required to achieve a 90th percentile score on the MCAT.

Please take a deep look at the following threads:
Compilation - MCAT Study Plans and MCAT Study Strategies

509+ MCAT Study Habits

Some common denominators I have seen in high scoring individuals:
1. The usual review schedule was along the lines of 1/3 content review, 1/3 practice passages and review, 1/3 practice-full length. All study plans seem to be a derivative of the original SN2ed plan, modified to include Psych/Soc and new testing materials and changing FLs.
2. Study periods ranged from 1 month (recent retaker, content review finished, purely for practice passages and FLs) to 3 months (full time MCAT review) to 5 months (part time student/employment with MCAT review on side).
3. Most did NOT take a full course. This is either due to the cookie cutter approach being highly inefficient (ok for most, perfect for a few, useless for many) OR initiative/discipline to generate a tailored personal study schedule.
4. AAMC materials were an absolute must. Section banks completed with a 60-80% pass rate minimum, and completion of FL1, FL2, (and now FL3) in the weeks leading up to the exam (saved for last).
5. Other FLs used were generally NextStep or Altius. Limited success with Kaplan/TPR/EK.
6. Deep and thorough review of every practice passage and FL taken. This means reviewing both correct and incorrect questions, along with Q&A manipulation to encourage a deeper thought process and understanding of how questions are structured. Error logs strongly recommended.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

A good CARS score is encouraging. When I see lower science scores, but a higher CARS score, it tells me that your reading comprehension and test-taking strategies are strong. This leads me to believe this is a content review issue. Regarding your content review process, while taking detailed notes is great, you've made a critical error: approaching MCAT2015 like it is the old MCAT. What do I mean by that? The new, revamped MCAT, while still requiring a strong science background, no longer heavily emphasizes memorization and minutiae to achieve a high score. The emphasis is now on critical thinking and analysis utilizing high yield science principles. Additionally, the sections are now much less black/white. Before, you would never see physics and chemistry intermixed with biology and biochemistry, but now I would hazard a guess that the sections are more like 90% primary focus, 10% interdisciplinary focus. This means that 90% of your C/P section focuses on chemistry (general and organic) and physics, but 10% of the material tested would be biology- and biochemistry-related.

Recognize that the new MCAT is incompatible with the brute-force strategies of the old MCAT. Whereas before you could get away with 70% content review and 30% FL practice, you absolutely cannot now. You need to use the AAMC materials, as well as much more practice passages and a deeper review of your completed practice problems.

Specific advice: Your C/P score appears to be the biggest weakness. I recommend you utilize TBR for that. While TBR is highly recommended for most sections, Phys/Chem is their strongest area. Completing the entirety of the GChem, OChem, and Physics books offered by TBR, including the practice passages, should net you a 2-3 point bump in your C/P score, and perhaps a 1pt bump in your B/B score as well.

Using the AAMC section banks and FLs should also net you a 2-3 point overall score bump. Combined with the 3-4 from TBR, you should see an overall 5-7 pt increase, which should be enough to land you in the 510+ promised land that you seek. But this is only if you use the materials, and your time, correctly.

Remember, the score to effort ratio is non-linear. It is more logarithmic than anything, meaning as you score higher and higher, the work required to get that next point becomes greater and greater. 500 to 506 requires much less work than 506 to 512. Recognize that, embrace it, put in the grind, and you'll do well.

Best of luck!

I also have hundreds of pages of handwritten notes because I learn best from writing, so that's how I used the books
Sorry to disappoint you, but you did maybe ~25% of the work required to achieve a 90th percentile score on the MCAT.

Please take a deep look at the following threads:
Compilation - MCAT Study Plans and MCAT Study Strategies

509+ MCAT Study Habits

Some common denominators I have seen in high scoring individuals:
1. The usual review schedule was along the lines of 1/3 content review, 1/3 practice passages and review, 1/3 practice-full length. All study plans seem to be a derivative of the original SN2ed plan, modified to include Psych/Soc and new testing materials and changing FLs.
2. Study periods ranged from 1 month (recent retaker, content review finished, purely for practice passages and FLs) to 3 months (full time MCAT review) to 5 months (part time student/employment with MCAT review on side).
3. Most did NOT take a full course. This is either due to the cookie cutter approach being highly inefficient (ok for most, perfect for a few, useless for many) OR initiative/discipline to generate a tailored personal study schedule.
4. AAMC materials were an absolute must. Section banks completed with a 60-80% pass rate minimum, and completion of FL1, FL2, (and now FL3) in the weeks leading up to the exam (saved for last).
5. Other FLs used were generally NextStep or Altius. Limited success with Kaplan/TPR/EK.
6. Deep and thorough review of every practice passage and FL taken. This means reviewing both correct and incorrect questions, along with Q&A manipulation to encourage a deeper thought process and understanding of how questions are structured. Error logs strongly recommended.

That's all I have off the top of my head.

A good CARS score is encouraging. When I see lower science scores, but a higher CARS score, it tells me that your reading comprehension and test-taking strategies are strong. This leads me to believe this is a content review issue. Regarding your content review process, while taking detailed notes is great, you've made a critical error: approaching MCAT2015 like it is the old MCAT. What do I mean by that? The new, revamped MCAT, while still requiring a strong science background, no longer heavily emphasizes memorization and minutiae to achieve a high score. The emphasis is now on critical thinking and analysis utilizing high yield science principles. Additionally, the sections are now much less black/white. Before, you would never see physics and chemistry intermixed with biology and biochemistry, but now I would hazard a guess that the sections are more like 90% primary focus, 10% interdisciplinary focus. This means that 90% of your C/P section focuses on chemistry (general and organic) and physics, but 10% of the material tested would be biology- and biochemistry-related.

Recognize that the new MCAT is incompatible with the brute-force strategies of the old MCAT. Whereas before you could get away with 70% content review and 30% FL practice, you absolutely cannot now. You need to use the AAMC materials, as well as much more practice passages and a deeper review of your completed practice problems.

Specific advice: Your C/P score appears to be the biggest weakness. I recommend you utilize TBR for that. While TBR is highly recommended for most sections, Phys/Chem is their strongest area. Completing the entirety of the GChem, OChem, and Physics books offered by TBR, including the practice passages, should net you a 2-3 point bump in your C/P score, and perhaps a 1pt bump in your B/B score as well.

Using the AAMC section banks and FLs should also net you a 2-3 point overall score bump. Combined with the 3-4 from TBR, you should see an overall 5-7 pt increase, which should be enough to land you in the 510+ promised land that you seek. But this is only if you use the materials, and your time, correctly.

Remember, the score to effort ratio is non-linear. It is more logarithmic than anything, meaning as you score higher and higher, the work required to get that next point becomes greater and greater. 500 to 506 requires much less work than 506 to 512. Recognize that, embrace it, put in the grind, and you'll do well.

Best of luck!
Thanks! (Physics has always been a real challenge for me)

Last edited:
I also have hundreds of pages of handwritten notes because I learn best from writing

This is fine! Whatever works for you, great. However, at some point you have to pound practice problems to ensure you know how to manipulate what you've learned.

Thanks! (Physics has always been a real challenge for me)

I understand completely. For physics specifically, it's all about memorizing the formulas, learning to work the units, and pounding away at discretes.

BTW nice screen name. The play, the movie, or the line from the panic song?

This is fine! Whatever works for you, great. However, at some point you have to pound practice problems to ensure you know how to manipulate what you've learned.

I understand completely. For physics specifically, it's all about memorizing the formulas, learning to work the units, and pounding away at discretes.

BTW nice screen name. The play, the movie, or the line from the panic song?
The thing with the physics section was always figuring out that I should have been using something like POI or another strategy to answer a question instead of actually plugging in numbers...which most of the time would have also solved the question, but it wasn't the fastest way

The play of course. Nothing like a Stella-calling contest.

The thing with the physics section was always figuring out that I should have been using something like POI or another strategy to answer a question instead of actually plugging in numbers...which most of the time would have also solved the question, but it wasn't the fastest way

AH! If that is your problem, then I highly recommend you get the TBR Physics book. They put a heavy emphasis on test-taking strategies and problem recognition in their physics materials and practice problems. From my personal experience, it seems perfect for what you're looking for.

The play of course. Nothing like a Stella-calling contest.

Wonderful. I know of very few people familiar with it, I am grateful to see I am not the only one.