MCAT Bio - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raom_dtpi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get ideas on how to prepare for Bio on the MCAT.

I've had 2 semesters worth of Bio geared towards the MCAT. (Genetics + Physio, Bio Chem+ Cell Bio). I have the EK book and I am taking Kaplan for the August exam. I appreciate any suggestions on what is the best strategy to prepare. There is just a lot of materia, to go back and revisit the text books. Thanks!

Scout

Members don't see this ad.

raom_dtpi,

nice.
you've probably prepped well enough for the content of the exam with all that bio you've recently had. a few things to note:
the mcat bio is 1) not nearly as complex nor as in depth as what you've had.

2) one should focus on relearning/re-sharpening the hi-yield info necessary for doing well on the mcat, and...

3) getting LOTS of practice at doing mcat style passages (these can be uniquely peculiar to the exam)

4) improving your reading speed if that's your weakness (mcat is lots of reading and synthesizing, more so than picking up one-off questions). statistically that's why humanities test-takers often fare just as well as science majors.

over the years, other things that have worked for my MCAT students is:
5) as quickly as possible, pile through all the mcat bio reading that's in the kaplan information text. this is good because we've found it to be not too much, and not too little in terms of content. really just the right amount! if you've taken bio back-to-back-to-back, you could probably crush the book in a week to two weeks. that gives you time to focus on doing well on the actual passages and practice questions.

6) keep a list/booklet of careless mistakes, facts which might be easily forgotten to you, good questions which you got right but are worthwhile to go: these things are useful to review, esp. the week before the exam.

7) plan out a schedule: do CHEM, PHYS, ORGO as simiultaneously as you can. again, pile through the info first and then HIT THE QUESTIONS & PASSAGES!

(note: people find that each topic often has different ways/texts that are more helpful than others. for example, in physics you should MEMORIZE, MEMORIZE, INTERNALIZE, THEN UTILIZE, all the pertinent formulas you need. then play with the equations backwards and forwards esp. focussing on the scientific "units" as you go along. chem doesn't have as many pertinent equations, but you should do the same for that in your prelim study as well. remember, each topic is sometimes best studied a little bit differently)

in summary, go over hi-yield information only, get the content out of the way first, then hit the passages for the REAL PRACTICE!

hope this helps.

best of luck!

:D

p.s. if you have any questions in particular, please feel free to post them up and i'll try to respond quickly to them. (med school is in a lull for a few weeks before rotations start up so i'll have some time).

thanks.

Greets fr. nyc,

I enjoyed your response to the OP. I am over 1/3 the way through my BS and plan to hit BIO 1&2 along with CHEM 1&2 over the course of fall '04-spring '05. I will then transfer to USCA and will pick up with Orgo 1&2 and Physics 1&2. My goal is to take the MCAT in April 2006.

So.....your post seemed well organized in how to approach honing skills needed to do well on this exam. I'm trying to create a system of reinforcement for my current/upcoming studies so that I won't feel so crunched as the MCAT approaches (which is closer than it may appear). And sometimes it takes an objective approach - to avoid overkill.

Hope you are looking forward to rotations! Have a great break.

Greets fr. nyc,

Thanks for your detailed reply! Does your recommendation to study Kaplan material suggest one way or the other about Examkrackers? I am just curious because I have both and sets- Ek and Kaplan. To be honest, I like EK because their style is more personable, this doesn't imply that Kaplan material is not good. The topics covered in both are more or less the same. how do you recommend we mix materials and study? Is it worth switching b/n the two materials?

Thanks again!
Scout

Members don't see this ad :)
raom_dtpi said:
I wanted to get ideas on how to prepare for Bio on the MCAT.

I've had 2 semesters worth of Bio geared towards the MCAT. (Genetics + Physio, Bio Chem+ Cell Bio). I have the EK book and I am taking Kaplan for the August exam. I appreciate any suggestions on what is the best strategy to prepare. There is just a lot of materia, to go back and revisit the text books. Thanks!

Scout

My dear fellow Indian American,
Give me your e-mail address and I will send you two very cool - rather difficult but helpful MCAT tests and soln.
For Bio now, I took Kaplan as well for April MCAT - make sure you do all the tests that they have. Other than that, I don't think you really need more knowledge. Just be open to any new info. though, you might learn about them while doing practice tests.
Since you will be taking it in August, this is more than enough. I never used my cousin's TPR book as it had too much info. - not needed!
Good luck and make sure you PM me. :D

Bugpie said:
I'm trying to create a system of reinforcement for my current/upcoming studies so that I won't feel so crunched as the MCAT approaches (which is closer than it may appear). And sometimes it takes an objective approach - to avoid overkill.

Hope you are looking forward to rotations! Have a great break.

yeah, definitely sooo looking forward to starting back up in july (not that i'm not enjoying the beautiful weather today in central park). finally after sitting on my arse for the last two years, i'll be actually involved in the care and management of pts in a month. lots of work, but i have to say it's been totally worth it. med school has been 94% super interesting so far (i feel embarrassed to say) :).

as for your study schedule:
1) it's a good idea to start to at least have some idea about the exam early on, but seriously the material content-wise is not at all that bad (vs. the amount of material you need to know for a standard college science course). your idea of reinforcement is really really good, but i'd say that this will be of more importance when you are in med school and preparing for the national boards in 2nd year vs. for the mcat.

2) mostly, the difficulty that students have is more MCAT specific than anything else (you'll know what i mean when you start actively studying for it). in otherwords, the MCAT is like few other exams you've taken before. yes it's reading passages and answering questions, but a lot of the things the exam focusses on is quite unique (such as a adapting yourself to strange random passage topics and then applying basic science knowlege to it.) the verbal portion can be kind of wack as well (it's often one of the more difficult parts of the exam. no kidding). the time pressure in some/most can be enormous as well.

3) so my advice is: try to learn about the mcat AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and it's UNIQUE characteristics. pick up a kaplan book, or a princeton review book, etc, and just learn about the exam (you'll also see that the basic science is not nearly as indepth as you might expect). do the SAME EARLY ON for the med school admissions process as you journey through undergrad (SDN has lots of great experiences, as well as books in the bookshop). this helped me tremendously to learn about the system early on.

4) ALSO, if you are not super strong in this area already: LEARN TO READ A LOT IN A VERY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. this means, chewing thru all sorts of quality reading material: novels, literary journals, national newspapers, good magazine articles, etc.
from a person who has taught the mcat for 3 years and of course taken it myself, this might be my BIGGEST advice.

to sum up: i know this doesn't fully answer your question. but seriously, the best thing to prepare for the test so early on in the game, is to learn to read critically and really fast. as a year before the exam starts to roll around, think about picking a testing company of your choice and go thru/learn from lots of MCAT passages/questions (it's worth the investment for everyone 'cept for the most brilliant of folks). but as you can see, this is probably more useful when you are closer to the real thing. in the meantime. keep organized for organization's sake and try your hardest to do well in all your college classes.

remember, you'll be surprised how much you DON'T NEED to know on the mcat, knowledge-wise, but how MUCH you need to train yourself to THINK in an MCAT specific way. most testing companies do a good job at covering the high-yield information, but the real place where you "make" your score is in the practice questions and passages. i'm most familiar with kaplan stuff, but i've had friends/colleagues who've used exam krackers, princeton review with good results as well.

aight,
best wishes.

raom_dtpi said:
Greets fr. nyc,

Thanks for your detailed reply! Does your recommendation to study Kaplan material suggest one way or the other about Examkrackers? I am just curious because I have both and sets- Ek and Kaplan. To be honest, I like EK because their style is more personable, this doesn't imply that Kaplan material is not good. The topics covered in both are more or less the same. how do you recommend we mix materials and study? Is it worth switching b/n the two materials?

Thanks again!
Scout

hi raom_dtpi,

you're right.
if you find exam krackers more your style. use exam krackers for content, use both for practice exams (i'm assuming you have access to the kaplan library's all 13 practice test & who knows how many section tests). learn from the explanations from both. remember the content is only 40% of doing well. tackling and LEARNING from the practice questions/passages for the MCAT is where you'll score those 30's 35's, etc.

good luck!

greets fr. nyc said:
med school has been 94% super interesting so far (i feel embarrassed to say) :).

GLAD to hear it! I'm so psyched....you wouldn't believe!

THANKS for all of the advice! Hope to hear more from you in the future - would love to hear how things are going once you ...hit the floor! :thumbup:

Take care!