MCAT April 28th, Not Feeling Confident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panther97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an AAMC practice test about a week ago and I scored a 502.

Chem/Phys: 124
CARS: 128
Bio/Biochem: 126
Psych/Soc: 124

I'm not feeling confident about getting 508+ when I'm taking the test in a week. I've been getting prepped to apply this coming cycle and still want to (planning on applying early). My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.4. Major is Human Services (aka social work). I have strong letters of rec and have lots of experience: multiple internships, shadowing, volunteering at hospitals, research (will be getting published soon), and president of the pre-med club on campus. Should I still apply if I get ~502? Any tips for improving my score last minute?

Members don't see this ad.

chem/phys: memorize physics equations
bio/biochem: memorize amino acid structures and abbreviations
psych/soc: memorize vocabulary

This should bring you up at least 2-3 points, but 508+ may not happen.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not feeling confident about getting 508+ when I'm taking the test in a week. I've been getting prepped to apply this coming cycle and still want to (planning on applying early). My GPA is 3.5 and sGPA is 3.4. Major is Human Services (aka social work). I have strong letters of rec and have lots of experience: multiple internships, shadowing, volunteering at hospitals, research (will be getting published soon), and president of the pre-med club on campus. Should I still apply if I get ~502? Any tips for improving my score last minute?
You will have a shot with 125 across board. Remember, they want to have the basic, and i believe your EC will land you somewhere.

Last edited:

For DO, you will have a chance. For MD, not at all. Your GPA and ECs are fine, however, both MD and DO schools value a strong MCAT. Despite there being next to no correlation between the MCAT and Step 1, a high MCAT really makes admissions committees interview and accept you. As of now, you'll score + or - 4 points (a rule of thumb for MCAT with new scoring system). At best a 506, worst a 498. Calm yourself down. Study diligently and take the MCAT later. If that incorporates a gap year, that's something you'll have to deal with.

I applied with a higher GPA, similar and slightly better ECs, and a borderline MCAT only to be extremely disappointed with zero acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO, you will have a chance. For MD, not at all. Your GPA and ECs are fine, however, both MD and DO schools value a strong MCAT. Despite there being next to no correlation between the MCAT and Step 1, a high MCAT really makes admissions committees interview and accept you. As of now, you'll score + or - 4 points (a rule of thumb for MCAT with new scoring system). At best a 506, worst a 498. Calm yourself down. Study diligently and take the MCAT later. If that incorporates a gap year, that's something you'll have to deal with.

I applied with a higher GPA, similar and slightly better ECs, and a borderline MCAT only to be extremely disappointed with zero acceptances.
I see. Alright, well unfortunately I think it's too late to postpone this coming exam. I'm going to go ahead and take it and see what happens. I'm not expecting a good score so I think I may just hold off on applying then and take a gap year. Just work on making sure my 2nd MCAT is my last. Thanks for your input.

I see. Alright, well unfortunately I think it's too late to postpone this coming exam. I'm going to go ahead and take it and see what happens. I'm not expecting a good score so I think I may just hold off on applying then and take a gap year. Just work on making sure my 2nd MCAT is my last. Thanks for your input.
Smart man. I too (accidentally) didn't realize the test cancellation deadlines etc. Take the exam, it will be good practice nonetheless. However, I would strongly recommend you do not score it. A low MCAT follows you forever. If you have another questions, please inbox me.

It's possible. I took AAMC 1 I think last Saturday and got a 505, and 2 yesterday and got 509. Most of my mistakes were just due to silly nervousness though. It's possible!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm always a strong proponent of taking the exam when you feel ready. I would void this exam and use it like the best-possible live proctored exam. Don't take it flippantly, sit for the entire thing, do your best on every single question, practice your timing...you could learn a ton from that experience that will help you do better next time. I've known hundreds of students who go into an exam feeling like they aren't ready, and their practice scores agree...I'm still waiting for someone to do so and magically pull out a good outcome.

A few months time won't matter one iota to you when you're a doctor ten years from now. Do it right, however much time it takes, then move on to the next step.

It's possible. I took AAMC 1 I think last Saturday and got a 505, and 2 yesterday and got 509. Most of my mistakes were just due to silly nervousness though. It's possible!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah I noticed that too. When I reviewed the exams, I noticed that about half of the questions I got wrong, I could've gotten right if I just paid a little more attention to detail, thought it through a little more, etc.