MCAT and smps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a gpa around 3.1, and an mcat score of 27. If i get into an smp program, such as Georgetown, RFU, or BU, should i still consider re-taking the MCAT? or could i manage to still be competitive if I do well during my SMPs?

It's just not practical for me to take the mcats. I'm taking my remaining pre-reqs next year, after which i want to apply to an SMP program. I don't want to do it this summer, (working), or April (finals will be at this time). As for next August, all of the aforementioned programs will begin before the MCAT date in August. So, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know about other smp programs, but at georgetown, several people took the august mcat this year. the exam was held on the weekend before classes began, so it didn't impinge on anyone's study time.

I dont know if you'll be too competitive at Georgetown, I hear they expect a lot. Boston U or RFU, yeah. As far as the MCAT is concerned, you need to do well. You cant expect to get in with a bad gpa and a bad MCAT score. The avg for matriculated applicants is 30, so being 3 points below is not good. I would also suggest that you reevaluate your attitude. Everyone pursuing post-bacc and taking a full-time load of classes has to work hard during the semester to maintain their grades, but squeezing in the MCAT is a rite of passage. Theres never a good time, you just have to do it. If you started in small incremental steps now, you would be more than prepared by next April.