MCAT and Lack of knowledge in Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihavequestions2614

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So originally I thought I wanted to take a gap year before I applied to medical school. Recently, I have been contemplating if I should take a gap year. The problem is that I have not taken physics yet. I am planning on taking physics 1 over the summer, but the class won't be over until the start of August. With that in mind, I won't have physics 2 information down unless I self-study physics ahead of time. Does anyone have experience/comments on self-studying physics 1 and 2 in the summer? My GPA is on the lower side, meaning a 3.55, so a high MCAT score would be preferred. If it makes any difference I have 2+ years of working in a research lab, volunteering, shadowing, and various extracurriculars that demonstrate leadership and interest in the health care field. Also, I am a junior in college majoring in biology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Physics is hit or miss on the new MCAT. Some people report getting a very heavy amount of physics on their exams while other report nearly none. My personal experience with practice exams and the S/B thus far has been that there isn't much physics, and the physics that does exists comes in only one of two flavors: very basic (the kind you should know from HS physics) and the completely insane that most physics majors probably wouldn't get. There is a lot of overlap with gen chem so I think what is happening is that some of the stuff that AAMC considers physics is considered gen chem to test takers (for example alpha decay or half-life).

Reactions: 1 user
Physics is hit or miss on the new MCAT. Some people report getting a very heavy amount of physics on their exams while other report nearly none. My personal experience with practice exams and the S/B thus far has been that there isn't much physics, and the physics that does exists comes in only one of two flavors: very basic (the kind you should know from HS physics) and the completely insane that most physics majors probably wouldn't get. There is a lot of overlap with gen chem so I think what is happening is that some of the stuff that AAMC considers physics is considered gen chem to test takers (for example alpha decay or half-life).
My first test was most biochem but when I wrote again it was all orgo and the tough physics. Do I voided it