MD MCAT: 509 GPA: 4.0 School List a little too dreamy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Civelle

Learning Chemistry by watching the Bachelorette
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so just got my MCAT back and I would say I am a little disappointed in my score, but it wasn't a total bust. I have my scores and GPA listed below and just some quick extracurriculars. I had some high hopes for schools, but I need everyone to basically give it to me straight and tell me what schools I need to be striking from the list. I really don't know if I have any real safe schools listed here either. Please let me know your opinions!

I am a Caucasian male and Virginia resident.
--------------------
Chem/Phys - 126
CARS - 129
Bio - 127
Psych/Socy - 127
Overall MCAT: 509
---------------------
Overall GPA: 4.0
---------------------
-3+ Years Research Experience (700 hours) - Multiple poster presentations and oral presentations, awarded multiple research scholarships
-Summer Research Fellowship (400 hours)
-Shadowing(40) and Clinical Volunteering(50) hours
-Non-clinical Volunteering (50 hours)
-Two study abroad experiences to Japan
-3 jobs (Tutor in Japan, Tutor at my University, Cashier)
-Officer of two clubs with heavy involvement
---------------------
School List:
VCU
Virginia Tech
Mayo (Possibly MSTP)
Vermont
Yale
UVA
Case Western
Duke
Mt. Sinai
EVMS
USC-Greenville
MUSC (Possibly MSTP)
Wake Forest (Possibly MSTP)

I was also hoping to apply to MSTP programs, but with this MCAT score I don't think I could get in anywhere. If you think differently, let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your clinical experience seems kind of low :oops: do you have any non-clinical volunteering? VCU and Tech will like your research experience, but I know VCU will chew you out for not having more volunteering hours (I've spoken with someone on their adcom before).

Your MCAT is too low for UNC out of state. They have cutoffs listed on their website. Because of the MCAT I would also recommend removing Baylor, Yale, Vanderbilt, and Johns Hopkins. Add about 10 schools where your MCAT is around their average. (and I am by no means trying to imply that a 509 is not a great score, just not good enough for top 20 schools. I am also a fellow 509-er haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally it is also considered best practice to apply to all of your state schools, so I would add EVMS for sure.

Hi thanks for the response!
I really don't have much more volunteering experience but I was an officer in multiple clubs as well as being employed during academic year. I probably have 50 hours of non clinical experience. I was also abroad in Japan for around six months and which I was unable to do any volunteering

Your lack of volunteering will likely hurt you...a lot! Either get some more ASAP and delay your app for a few weeks so you can include it. Or delay your app until next year.

If you are dead set on applying this year with so little clinical exposure and volunteering then I would highly suggest you get some during the year, so when you are a re-applicant next year you will have the necessary hours.

Your lack of volunteering will likely hurt you...a lot! Either get some more ASAP and delay your app for a few weeks so you can include it. Or delay your app until next year.

If you are dead set on applying this year with so little clinical exposure and volunteering then I would highly suggest you get some during the year, so when you are a re-applicant next year you will have the necessary hours.

Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately, I doubt I will be able to do that. I begin my fellowship next week and that's a 40 hour/week commitment for the rest of summer in a clinical research setting. Like I mentioned, I was aiming for an MSTP program which is why I so heavily invested in research. Another thing is that where I live in Virginia is not conducive to getting adequate hospital experience. The hospitals here limit you to a max of two shadowing sessions over a year and the volunteering is more in the gift shop, not in the actual hospital working with patients, nurses, and doctors.

I'll add this to my app, but i do have tons of outside experience whether it be two experiences abroad in Japan, 3 jobs that I have taken, 2 in depth leadership experiences in clubs. I hope this shows more balance in my app.

Thank you for the feedback!
Another thing is that where I live in Virginia is not conducive to getting adequate hospital experience. The hospitals here limit you to a max of two shadowing sessions over a year and the volunteering is more in the gift shop, not in the actual hospital working with patients, nurses, and doctors.

I live in Virginia as well and searched for free clinics to volunteer at since the hospitals in my area are similarly not as conducive to long-term volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else have any suggestions school wise?

I've added MUSC, EVMS, USC-Greenville, and Wake Forest to my list.

Consider adding these schools also:
West Virginia
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane

Here is a more realistic list:

U VM

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

SLU

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

VCU

Netter

EVMS

Oakland-B

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Your state school(s).

Hey everyone so just got my MCAT back and I would say I am a little disappointed in my score, but it wasn't a total bust. I have my scores and GPA listed below and just some quick extracurriculars. I had some high hopes for schools, but I need everyone to basically give it to me straight and tell me what schools I need to be striking from the list. I really don't know if I have any real safe schools listed here either. Please let me know your opinions!

I am a Caucasian male and Virginia resident.
--------------------
Chem/Phys - 126
CARS - 129
Bio - 127
Psych/Socy - 127
Overall MCAT: 509
---------------------
Overall GPA: 4.0
---------------------
-3+ Years Research Experience (700 hours) - Multiple poster presentations and oral presentations, awarded multiple research scholarships
-Summer Research Fellowship (400 hours)
-Shadowing(40) and Clinical Volunteering(50) hours
-Non-clinical Volunteering (50 hours)
-Two study abroad experiences to Japan
-3 jobs (Tutor in Japan, Tutor at my University, Cashier)
-Officer of two clubs with heavy involvement
---------------------
School List:
VCU
Virginia Tech
Mayo (Possibly MSTP)
Vermont
Yale
UVA
Case Western
Duke
Mt. Sinai
EVMS
USC-Greenville
MUSC (Possibly MSTP)
Wake Forest (Possibly MSTP)

I was also hoping to apply to MSTP programs, but with this MCAT score I don't think I could get in anywhere. If you think differently, let me know!