MBS Programs: Rutgers Dental Scholars vs. Barry University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily0680

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently been accepted into Rutgers MBS Dental Scholars program in Newark this Spring 2018 and the 18-month track at Barry University's Master's in Biomedical Science Program, also Spring 2018.

I am having a heard time deciding between the two program. Could former/current students from either one of these programs please tell me more about the programs and which programs have better connections to Dental Schools in the future.

I am pre-dental and an out of state student. Can someone please shed a light on what percentage of people get accepted to dental school after this program? What classes should I take in the spring if I plan on finishing this program in one year? Also, how hard is this program overall? What is the best place to live and are you looking for a roommate? When do classes start?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also debating between the two for Spring 2018! I think the main thing you need to think about is where do you want to attend for dental school. Barry, I imagine, would be more reputable in the South while Rutgers' program would be more reputable in the NE.

Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm halfway through my first semester at Rutgers GSBS. I can't compare the two programs because I'm familiar with only Rutgers', but I like it. PM me for housing details, but the program is easier than I had originally expected (that doesn't mean I'm not working very hard to keep my grades up). Each class I'm in has a midterm and a final...that's it.

I know that Rutgers Dental School, for some reason, doesn't take many kids from the program. I know Tufts and Nova take this program seriously, but also Tufts likes master's students in general. I'm almost positive UF likes kids who take the MS route, which is thesis-based. I'm in the MBS program which is coursework-based. What's cool about the program is you have the opportunity to take dental school courses which could raise some eyebrows given you do well, but I'm just trying to do well in any way I can...and that includes sticking with upper level science courses. Everyone in the program is extremely nice and it hasn't felt competitive at all. Some students are even kind enough to share their notes with the rest of us!

I'm doing the program in one year too since I applied to DS this cycle. It's very common for students to complete the program in three semesters and have schools see their entire transcript instead of schools seeing just one semester from mine since I'll most likely find out from all schools before spring semester ends. Most kids who complete the program in one year take 13 credits in the fall and 17 in the spring (30 credit requirement). That sounds daunting but in the spring, courses are spread out so I'm taking 11 credits until June and finishing two more from June to July. There are some DS that allow you to complete only 24 credits and transfer the remaining 6 from the DS back to the master's although I'm not sure which ones.

I plan on taking Viruses, Cells, and Disease - Oral Biology Seminar - Fundamentals B: Cell Biology - Research - Principles of Toxicology II

The program requires you to perform 60 hours of research worth two credits so you can link up with any researcher in Newark hospital, any professor, or any dentist and be his/her mentee.

I'm pushing off studying as we speak! Although you'll be studying, you'll also have a lot of free time. Use that extra time for self-improvement. This program is the transition between undergrad and dental school and you want to prepare for dental school as much as you can.

Good luck, Lily!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Quite honestly, it doesn't matter which SMP you enrol in. I would go with the cheapest one. Given that Rutgers masters is well established (15+years) and tuition is reasonable, it's a good option.
Good advice. The most important thing is to do well wherever you go.

Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm halfway through my first semester at Rutgers GSBS. I can't compare the two programs because I'm familiar with only Rutgers', but I like it. PM me for housing details, but the program is easier than I had originally expected (that doesn't mean I'm not working very hard to keep my grades up). Each class I'm in has a midterm and a final...that's it.

I know that Rutgers Dental School, for some reason, doesn't take many kids from the program. I know Tufts and Nova take this program seriously, but also Tufts likes master's students in general. I'm almost positive UF likes kids who take the MS route, which is thesis-based. I'm in the MBS program which is coursework-based. What's cool about the program is you have the opportunity to take dental school courses which could raise some eyebrows given you do well, but I'm just trying to do well in any way I can...and that includes sticking with upper level science courses. Everyone in the program is extremely nice and it hasn't felt competitive at all. Some students are even kind enough to share their notes with the rest of us!

I'm doing the program in one year too since I applied to DS this cycle. It's very common for students to complete the program in three semesters and have schools see their entire transcript instead of schools seeing just one semester from mine since I'll most likely find out from all schools before spring semester ends. Most kids who complete the program in one year take 13 credits in the fall and 17 in the spring (30 credit requirement). That sounds daunting but in the spring, courses are spread out so I'm taking 11 credits until June and finishing two more from June to July. There are some DS that allow you to complete only 24 credits and transfer the remaining 6 from the DS back to the master's although I'm not sure which ones.

I plan on taking Viruses, Cells, and Disease - Oral Biology Seminar - Fundamentals B: Cell Biology - Research - Principles of Toxicology II

The program requires you to perform 60 hours of research worth two credits so you can link up with any researcher in Newark hospital, any professor, or any dentist and be his/her mentee.

I'm pushing off studying as we speak! Although you'll be studying, you'll also have a lot of free time. Use that extra time for self-improvement. This program is the transition between undergrad and dental school and you want to prepare for dental school as much as you can.

Good luck, Lily!

There are a bunch of classes you can transfer over from the DS to your Master's. I took Dental Phys/Dental Material Sciences (7 credits total).

Dental Physiology wasn't TOO bad but it was a lot of material in I believe 10 weeks time. I had 7 exams in the course of those 10 weeks while some of my Master's classmates had 1-3 midterms in that timeframe. It's really a lot of work.

If you commute, factor in your commuting schedule. I commuted via Train so I at least could study on the train, but my commute was about 4 hours each day (2 hours each way).

I completed the program in 3 semesters with a 3.75. So it's a doable task as long as you're truly motivated and willing to stay focused during your time there.

Professors were all great. Never had an issue with any of them. If anyone reading this takes Fundamentals of Neuro, Dr. Levison is a great guy.

Reactions: 2 users
Did your 3 semesters include a summer semester? I know that Fall and Spring semesters are offered, but I was wondering if there is a Summer semester option to complete the 30 credit requirement?

There are a bunch of classes you can transfer over from the DS to your Master's. I took Dental Phys/Dental Material Sciences (7 credits total).

Dental Physiology wasn't TOO bad but it was a lot of material in I believe 10 weeks time. I had 7 exams in the course of those 10 weeks while some of my Master's classmates had 1-3 midterms in that timeframe. It's really a lot of work.

If you commute, factor in your commuting schedule. I commuted via Train so I at least could study on the train, but my commute was about 4 hours each day (2 hours each way).

I completed the program in 3 semesters with a 3.75. So it's a doable task as long as you're truly motivated and willing to stay focused during your time there.

Professors were all great. Never had an issue with any of them. If anyone reading this takes Fundamentals of Neuro, Dr. Levison is a great guy.

Did your 3 semesters include a summer semester? I know that Fall and Spring semesters are offered, but I was wondering if there is a Summer semester option to complete the 30 credit requirement?

I just finished the program 3 months ago, there is no "Summer" semester. Classes that are offered during June or what not are just extensions of the Spring semester

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished the program 3 months ago, there is no "Summer" semester. Classes that are offered during June or what not are just extensions of the Spring semester
Would you recommend the program?

Sure, I think tuition is reasonable and the research component is beneficial when you're applying for dental schools.

If you decide to attend the program, try to pick classes that are graded more than by just two exams. I had classes where I failed to get an A because of a single question on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)

As someone stated above, there is no formal "Summer" semester.

Yeah I had no issue with it other than my long daily commute. The program itself was good, you got to push yourself to take classes alongside dental/medical students and I honestly believe it gave me the bump I needed to get interviews this cycle.

Sure, I think tuition is reasonable and the research component is beneficial when you're applying for dental schools.

If you decide to attend the program, try to pick classes that are graded more than by just two exams. I had classes where I failed to get an A because of a single question on the exam.

What classes would you recommend?

Dental Physiology.

Fundamentals of Neuro.

Fundamentals of Pharm.

Topics in Pharm.

The rest weren't as interesting to me.

Dental Physiology.

Fundamentals of Neuro.

Fundamentals of Pharm.

Topics in Pharm.

The rest weren't as interesting to me.

I wouldn't recommend Dental Physiology, it's a 5-credit dental school course and dental students do get C's on this course. The last thing you would want is a 5 credit worth of C on a 30 credit program. You don't get a special treatment because you are a graduate student and graded equally as dental students would.

I think if you want to take a dental school course, oral microbiology or oral immunology are a far better option in my opinion.

I would recommend the other classes ThirdTimesTheCharm recommended.

I wouldn't recommend Dental Physiology, it's a 5-credit dental school course and dental students do get C's on this course. The last thing you would want is a 5 credit worth of C on a 30 credit program. You don't get a special treatment because you are a graduate student and graded equally as dental students would.

I think if you want to take a dental school course, oral microbiology or oral immunology are a far better option in my opinion.

I would recommend the other classes ThirdTimesTheCharm recommended.
As a spring start student, do you think they'll allow us to take dental school courses right away?

As a spring start student, do you think they'll allow us to take dental school courses right away?

Yeah, you can take the dental school courses right away. Some courses like Dental Physiology, you need a permission from the advisor to be able to register for the course. I was offered to take Dental Biochemistry and Dental Physiology but decided to not take it.

Yes I started in the Spring and they allow you to take Dental courses. But I do believe Dr. Tsiagbe goes over your file to see if he thinks you can actually "handle it". Whether that means they say yes or no, I am not sure. But I do know that you have to request to take the class and then they decide whether you can enroll in it or not.

I recommend taking the course simply because it will allow you to challenge yourself and gauge if you can truly kick it in Dental School. My thought process throughout my time as a Master's Candidate was to work as hard as I could, taking the hardest courses offered to me so I could get into the mindset of a dental student.

But if you are looking to get A's, then perhaps don't attempt it. It's arguably one of the more difficult courses offered to Rutger's D1 students and I believe it's a 12 or 13 credit D1 course (5 credits for Master's students). You still had to take all their exams, go to all their lectures and participate in all of their labs/presentations (~2-3 labs a semester, 2-3 presentations per semester).

Yes I started in the Spring and they allow you to take Dental courses. But I do believe Dr. Tsiagbe goes over your file to see if he thinks you can actually "handle it". Whether that means they say yes or no, I am not sure. But I do know that you have to request to take the class and then they decide whether you can enroll in it or not.

I recommend taking the course simply because it will allow you to challenge yourself and gauge if you can truly kick it in Dental School. My thought process throughout my time as a Master's Candidate was to work as hard as I could, taking the hardest courses offered to me so I could get into the mindset of a dental student.

But if you are looking to get A's, then perhaps don't attempt it. It's arguably one of the more difficult courses offered to Rutger's D1 students and I believe it's a 12 or 13 credit D1 course (5 credits for Master's students). You still had to take all their exams, go to all their lectures and participate in all of their labs/presentations (~2-3 labs a semester, 2-3 presentations per semester).

Would you recommend Dental Biochemistry?

Would you recommend Dental Biochemistry?

I would recommend any course that starts with "Dental". It definitely helps in terms of applying, especially to Rutgers (other schools, maybe not so much since they don't actually know how rigorous the dental curriculum is for that particular school).

If you plan on applying to Rutgers, definitely take at least 1 of the bigger Dental courses. That being Physiology/Biochem, and perhaps Immuno. I wanted to take at least 1 more, but unfortunately I had to take other courses due to my commuting schedule.

I would recommend any course that starts with "Dental". It definitely helps in terms of applying, especially to Rutgers (other schools, maybe not so much since they don't actually know how rigorous the dental curriculum is for that particular school).

If you plan on applying to Rutgers, definitely take at least 1 of the bigger Dental courses. That being Physiology/Biochem, and perhaps Immuno. I wanted to take at least 1 more, but unfortunately I had to take other courses due to my commuting schedule.

Which one would you pick between Oral Immunology and Oral Microbiology ?

Which one would you pick between Oral Immunology and Oral Microbiology ?
I heard both are tough, but people get the hang of Immuno quicker. Not sure because I haven't taken either.