Mba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stafocker

DPM=Foot Ankle Authority
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity of getting an MBA (free) through the university. It's a nighttime, one-day a week for 2 years with attendance not being a factor in the grading system. Presuming that it won't effect my schedule or my residency training, is there any benefit of getting an MBA?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the opportunity of getting an MBA (free) through the university. It's a nighttime, one-day a week for 2 years with attendance not being a factor in the grading system. Presuming that it won't effect my schedule or my residency training, is there any benefit of getting an MBA?

Hey bud. MBA programs are designed for corporate business. If you plan on starting a business outside of you practice, maybe. But the information that you will learn is of little benefit in private or medium size practices.

You never know what you will learn or when it may come in handy. It cannot hurt even if it does not help.

I would do it. But then again I like collecting degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
You never know what you will learn or when it may come in handy. It cannot hurt even if it does not help.

I would do it. But then again I like collecting degrees.

If it effects his learning during residency I would say that it would hurt him.

Having an oppurtunity to do an MBA isn't a bad thing. Especially if it's free. Having that MBA does open oppurtunities further down the line such as working for the hospital as an administrator. If it doesn't affect how you're doing in the residency and your call schedule, I'd say go do it!:thumbup:

Having an oppurtunity to do an MBA isn't a bad thing. Especially if it's free. Having that MBA does open oppurtunities further down the line such as working for the hospital as an administrator. If it doesn't affect how you're doing in the residency and your call schedule, I'd say go do it!:thumbup:

This is the key. As I eluded to, an MBA is only important if your goals are outside of a small to medium practice.

I think any additional letters after your name are good if they're free. If some day you want to write Stafocker's Guide to Making It Rich then having the MBA makes you that much more credible at your book signing.

Nat

Since it's free and if it doesn't disrupt your residency or you in becoming all the doctor that you could be, then DO IT! But that's just me, I have a PharmD, BS in Biology and will have a DPM in 5 months. I'm a little crazy or I really like school. Anyway, do what makes you feel more comfortable.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but in pod school all of the schooling is targeted toward learning podiatry, not how to manage and run a small business. Getting an MBA will not hurt you, in anyway. A firm understanding of business and finance will serve you well when you're out in the real world. Physicians are notoriously bad businessmen, so I would do it as long as it doesn't detract from your training. A MBA will probably make you more marketable to group practices when interviewing since you'll possibly be able to improve the efficiency and profit of the practice.

...A MBA will probably make you more marketable to group practices when interviewing since you'll possibly be able to improve the efficiency and profit of the practice.
That's true^... and the MBA also kinda says "don't f--- with me" when contract negotiations begin.

If it's free and you seriously think that it won't interfere with your residency training (ie you're single lol), I'd do it. I thought of doing one of the dual degrees as a pod student, but I think my pod grades might have suffered... and/or free time definitely would've become paper thin.

If it's free and you seriously think that it won't interfere with your residency training (ie you're single lol), I'd do it.

lol (asian guy in pittsburgh, figure it out, haha)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but in pod school all of the schooling is targeted toward learning podiatry, not how to manage and run a small business. Getting an MBA will not hurt you, in anyway. A firm understanding of business and finance will serve you well when you're out in the real world. Physicians are notoriously bad businessmen, so I would do it as long as it doesn't detract from your training. A MBA will probably make you more marketable to group practices when interviewing since you'll possibly be able to improve the efficiency and profit of the practice.

forget about the traditional students who get the traditional MBA for traditional reasons. like feelgood says, it has traditionally been for people gearing toward the corporate world. i respectfully say that tradition is fast becoming a thing of the past...if that makes any sense. heck, even within the mba world, there are different degrees of mba. iceman is right. if your business savvy is low, an mba will be beneficial and maybe challenging to earn if you don't have the basics down. as far as practical application is concerned, if you plan on being a 1 doctor 1 office dude, i wouldn't do it. if however you have any dreams whatsoever, i would jump all over it! be that administrator. better yet, let it help you land a good job out of res with a well established group looking to break into a medium sized business sector, and end up running the business in 15 years. you don't strike me as kentucky-deliver-babies-and-do-foot-surgery type of guy, so i would say go into it. pm me if you want to chat further...i've been the route.