MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airpods

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

What do you think of pathologists pursuing an MBA? It seems that there is a lack of business involvement from pathologists, and the lab seems to be like its own entreprise apart from the hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

What do you think of pathologists pursuing an MBA? It seems that there is a lack of business involvement from pathologists, and the lab seems to be like its own entreprise apart from the hospital.
You don’t need an MBA probably just take some classes unless you want to be some high level executive.

With all the schooling and training we all go through, if you can garner out more money/time to pursue a MBA, hats off to you. I surely couldn’t do it.

The former CAP president is a path business owner and he doesn’t have a MBA.

Last edited:
I don't think you need a full MBA to be able to understand the business of pathology. It depends on your career goals - if you want to be an executive in a larger setting (such as healthcare system, biopharma, etc) then it may be helpful. But so will a shorter executive MBA. The majority of MD/MBAs I know work as execs with little or no clinical work - and only one of them is a pathologist (exec at a larger lab company). The Executive War College would be a great place to start Executive War College April 2023

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,

The lack of business involvement in pathology is also present in other fields of medicine. Our field and training doesn't prepare us for the financial aspects of the field - I can remember everybody's eyes glazing over during med school when we had any lecture about Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement - and I don't think that many people who are business-savvy enter medicine to begin with (just based on my experience). But it's a crucial aspect of the job.

do a deep dive into what exactly MBA education consists of.

Im not trying to give a meme response but Im 100% serious when I say you can get that education for 150 bucks in community college registration fees and 5 bucks in library fines...

Reactions: 2 users
From my understanding, the primary purpose of an MBA program is to make important connections. Where you get the MBA is more important than doing the MBA itself.

Reactions: 1 users
From my understanding, the primary purpose of an MBA program is to make important connections. Where you get the MBA is more important than doing the MBA itself.
I would add a little more nuance to that - yes, making connections does help. But the quality of education is a better predictor - the case studies and in depth analysis as well as having a good set of classmates to generate meaningful discussion - that's IMHO more important in the long run.

You don't need an MBA. Save yourself 30,000 dollars or more and use that money to buy some I bonds.

Reactions: 1 user
do a deep dive into what exactly MBA education consists of.

Im not trying to give a meme response but Im 100% serious when I say you can get that education for 150 bucks in community college registration fees and 5 bucks in library fines...
I was just hoping you might give some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the Southern Colonies. My contention is that, prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the Southern Colonies, could best be described as agrarian pre-capitalist.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I was just hoping you might give some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the Southern Colonies. My contention is that, prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities, especially in the Southern Colonies, could best be described as agrarian pre-capitalist.
You got that from Vickers.Work in Essex County, page 98, right? Yeah, I read that, too. See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in fifty years you're gunna start doing some thinkin' on your own, and you're gunna' come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and, two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f***** education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.

Reactions: 1 users
I went out and got an executive MBA. The primary benefit to me is the credential itself—and the credential only really matters in specific professional settings. I would say the degree would be of modest utility in running one’s own business. As others have pointed out, some of the content of an MBA program is readily accessible for free. That said, the finance and business law courses were substantive, and cumulatively, I thought it was nice to learn the theoretical basis behind some of the real-world business experiences I had during my career. For me, the connections I made with my classmates were entertaining and meaningful but, realistically, probably will not lead to career advancement. It was an interesting experience, and in the grand scheme of things, the tuition was affordable enough. I’d do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user