MBA vs MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anestheezee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm in an MD-only anesthesia practice contracted with a large hospital in the Pacific NW, 3 years out from residency and 1 year partner. I am unsettled with the idea of not having a "seat at the table" and definitely don't want to "be on the menu." I'm also interested in eventually having a recreational side business at some point in my career later on. Not sure what it would be in just yet, it might remain recreational as a hobby or a means to pivot my career and diversify my skillsets.

I think it would be helpful both personally and professionally to obtain either an MHA vs MBA but am having a hard time deciding what would be most useful. I don't PLAN on becoming a hospital executive (though who knows what'll happen 15 years from now) and I do like the idea of diversifying my knowledge in the broader sense of business.. I would also want this pursuit to be as useful to our anesthesia group as possible.

Anyone have the ability to compare / contrast MBA vs MHA in the context of PP anesthesiology and general life skills and interests?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be part of the solution I might suggest getting an MMM degree. I would contend that MD/MBAs have destroyed Emergency Medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to be part of the solution I might suggest getting an MMM degree. I would contend that MD/MBAs have destroyed Emergency Medicine.

Funny, I thought it was groups like Blackrock and KKR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't need either degree for what you aspire to do. At the same time, the degree is typically the cost of admission to be considered for the seat at the table or your ceiling is capped without one. The information you learn is obsolete as it is being taught. It does, however, inspire you to take chances and take initiatives where you previously would have been too shy. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know a few docs that took the time to get MBAs. Wasn’t worth spit. They very simply didn’t have the administrative, interpersonal and leadership skills to get what they wanted. May I suggest that you first try to get involved in group and hospital leadership and administrative activities- committees, etc. See if you have an interest and the necessary skill set.

Reactions: 2 users