MBA after MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolmavs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I had a query.
I have come across a few postings on this topic but there is no conclusive discussion that I came across, hence this new thread.
I wanted to know how feasible is it to get a MBA after a MPH? I know that the top B schools are looking at a few years experience for a realistic chance. So how do the adcoms lookupon the fact that the person is coming from an MPH background trying to get an MBA? Also will it make a considerable difference as to which school you have done your MPH from?
What are the MBA fields that should be looked at? Also as far as the job experience is consideredn what are the sorts of job that one should look out for? Are there anyspecializations of MPH that can be extended into a MBA degree? Also how do we convince the adcom that the MBA degree will be a natural extension of my MPH degree and job experience?
Any opinion, suggestion or experience is more than welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on guys, so mant views and not a single reply. Any views or opinions?

coolmavs said:
Guys, I had a query.
I have come across a few postings on this topic but there is no conclusive discussion that I came across, hence this new thread.
I wanted to know how feasible is it to get a MBA after a MPH? I know that the top B schools are looking at a few years experience for a realistic chance. So how do the adcoms lookupon the fact that the person is coming from an MPH background trying to get an MBA? Also will it make a considerable difference as to which school you have done your MPH from?
What are the MBA fields that should be looked at? Also as far as the job experience is consideredn what are the sorts of job that one should look out for? Are there anyspecializations of MPH that can be extended into a MBA degree? Also how do we convince the adcom that the MBA degree will be a natural extension of my MPH degree and job experience?
Any opinion, suggestion or experience is more than welcome.

I would suggest that whatever you do, you will need to be concerned about the fit ( a big thing with b schools --especially the top ones---I'm graduating with my MBA from MIT Sloan this yea. However I had good work experience going in.

One of the areas which seems to be a natural fit is Healthcare Policy and Management, or simply Healthcare management. This way you will have many of the high-end business skills that many of the non-MBA mph students do not possess. I think it's a great idea but you need to have a good story. Also, b-school is a hell of a lot more difficult to get into than is a school of public health--even a top one.

For me, I will either be combining my MIT Sloan MBA with an MPH from either Harvard or Hopkins---not sure yet.

You need to fiure out what you want from your MBA and make a realistic assessment of your ability to be accepted by say a top 25 or 30 school (if that matters to you) I am personally interested in working for a top-tier consulting firm and in particular, healthcare consulting for a few years--than work for a hospital network, healthcare insurance company or maybe even fpr big pharma. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you rate an MPH from the Environment and Occupatinal Health conc. followed by a couple of years of work experience.

coolmavs said:
How would you rate an MPH from the Environment and Occupatinal Health conc. followed by a couple of years of work experience.

If you are doing an environmental-type MPH focusing on toxicology and therefore do the chemistry/lab thing you might also be able to look into the MBA biotech track (I know BU at least has one of these tracks)..then I bet you could could consider pharma companies...