Mayo vs Yale vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasholdem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow .. this is my first post.

Here is a little background about me

I am a MS IV from Arizona applying in the match this year. I want to get away from the west coast for a while and am looking for places in the midwest and east coast for residency.

I am not really a big city person and am looking for programs in a smaller town just so that things are affordable. However I absolutely want to do an MFM fellowship so am interested in programs that would open doors for me when it comes to fellowship options. I am married and my husband also wants to be in a smallish town.

I have interviews from a number of programs, a lot of the them big names, but most are also in big towns (Chicago, New York, Philadelphia). The three that kind of most interest me because they are in smaller towns are Mayo (Rochester,MN), Yale(New Haven,CT) and Duke(Durham,NC). This thing is I know nothing about their Ob/Gyn programs....I know they are all decent med schools but how do their Ob/Gyn programs stack up and especially if I am looking for an MFM fellowship. Would really love some insight.

PS: I already interviewed at Mayo but to be honest but only left me with more questions than answers. I was not sure about their MFM experience though from a review I just read their Gyn/Onc is pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to confuse you but you might want to look at Dartmouth as well....it will definitely fit your small town criteria but it does not have any fellowships in MFM so not sure if it will "open doors" for you .. maybe someone else can answer that .. I am still to interview there ... will post my experience once I know !!

Yale has a VERY strong MFM program. The chairman, Dr. Lockwood is a leader in the field and the department is full of big names. You would be almost guaranteed to match in MFM. I have been told that the rate is close to 100%.

Duke also has a very strong MFM program with many attendings and 1-2 fellowship spots each year. Everyone who has wanted an MFM fellowship in recent years has successfully matched, and many stayed at Duke.