Mayo (MN) vs. Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotatoPerson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends!

So I was planning on matriculating at Ohio State this fall, but Mayo recently accepted me so now I have a decision to make. I haven't received a financial aid package at Mayo yet, so hopefully that'll come soon. OSU didn't give me anything but loans, so I'm looking at around 260k debt there. I didn't get to go to Mayo's second look because I was on the waitlist, so I'm not sure how I would vibe with the class, which I'm a little worried about since it's so small. It's also kinda late in the game to find a roommate and a pet-friendly apartment. I already have a roommate and an apartment in Columbus. Both are about the same distance from home. I really liked OSU, and the students all seemed really nice and fun. I think I would definitely be happy there. However, I'm not sure how the students at Mayo feel - if they're overworked, stressed, competitive, or how they feel about such a small class size. I'm torn between the two. I'm hoping maybe some current students could chime in on this, or point out some important pros and cons of each. Any and all advice welcome.

I plan to do a pediatric specialty, either neonatology or oncology, if that makes a difference. Also, I have like 5 or 6 days to decide.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GO TO MAYO. You will have so many more opportunities there, and it sounds like students are truly happy and have a great quality of life. You can't be the only person getting in off the waitlist, so I'm sure you can figure out apartments/roommates/etc. Your debt load will be no worse at Mayo, and in fact probably better (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they give at least some scholarship to every admitted student?) I'm sure OSU has a good school too, but Mayo is a whole different caliber, and it will give you a huge leg up in your career later on. To me this is a no-brainer.

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo. OSU has also been going down the rankings recently, but more than anything OSU cannot match the clinical opportunities you'd have at Mayo. If the aid is similar, then I think it's a mistake to turn down Mayo. OSU simply cannot compare. Unless if you're into big10 sports, but they're not even that good ;)

Reactions: 1 user
If you do decide to go to Mayo (which you should, for many reasons as above-- I'll add that I was very pleasantly surprised with their financial aid package), feel free to PM me and I can help you find pet friendly apartments! I just finished a thorough search (pet friendly is kind of rare downtown, unfortunately) and can give you some good ideas of where to start looking

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, I'm a current Mayo student and couldn't be happier with my choice to attend Mayo. The opportunities here are endless. Please feel free to send me a message if you would like any specifics on the research I've been involved with, the selectives I've done, etc. I've yet to meet an unhappy student at Mayo. I love the small size of the school because it has allowed me to get to know everyone in my class really well, as well as the upperclass med students. There's a lot of small group learning and I've found I learn best this way. The small class size has also been helpful in getting to know my professors well, most of whom are renowned leaders in their respective fields of medicine. The school definitely has a strong community that feels like a second family. It's not competitive at all. We are a true pass/fail school with no internal ranking and thus no AOA. People are supportive, share resources, study together, etc. We also have selectives which are unique to Mayo and probably my favorite thing about our curriculum. I've used my selectives to do research, travel, explore different specialties (figure out early on what I like and what I don't like), and just take vacation.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the responses guys! Mayo just gave me full tuition, so that made the decision for me! See ya in Rochester!

Reactions: 7 users