Mayo (MN) vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should they pick?

• Mayo MN

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Michigan

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • See Results

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making this post for a friend who doesn’t have an account here.

Both are pretty equal in terms of prestige and opportunities for research. Career goals are Ophtho, anesthesia, or IM. They’re From CA, so location isn’t super important (far from home either way.)

Mayo:
Pros:
Loved the small class size, and already found “my people”; would feel very supported (by far the most important factor)

No capped clerkships and no AOA

95% tuition scholarship

Very relaxed curriculum (sélectives sound AMAZING, and I already have some picked out that I’d like to participate in)

Enjoyed Rochester

Ridiculous amount of research opportunities

Cons:
Less money than Michigan

Less outreach and connections made than at Michigan, and feels a little bit like I’m less valued than I am by Michigan

Smaller Arab/Muslim population (also extremely important factor)

Seems like the match list is on a downward spiral compared to Michigan

Michigan:
Pros:
Dean’s scholarship (almost full CoA)

Already networked with Michigan residency directors in fields I’m interested in (they reached out to me and told me they’d give me all the support I need in med school)

Pretty sure I’ll match what I want, where I want (in gas/IM at least) based on how strong my network is going to be as a Deans scholar

I feel WANTED by Michigan. Seriously, recruitment has been crazy

Extremely supportive and kind faculty and admin

Got along well with current M1s and M2s

HUGE Muslim population and very active Muslim student chapters (this is huge)

Liked A2 more than Rochester

Cons:
Didn’t feel the ‘click’ that I did with Mayo; I felt pretty ambivalent about my class (with some exceptions)

Capped clerkships

LARGE class size (170)

More stressful curriculum than Mayo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would personally go for Mayo with its less stressful curriculum as 95% tuition versus full CoA are both fantastic offers regardless and will help you graduate debt-free almost, relatively speaking. I heard that you are fighting against the curve at Michigan which may prove to be extremely stressful and difficult; also Mayo appears to have good outreach as well although it may not fit the Muslim chapters that you want. Also, match lists vary from year-to-year and can be quite subjective so as long as everyone is matching at a well-known program somewhere, you'll be fine, especially with Mayo (MN) having the prestige edge whenever that's necessary. Props to you for an amazing cycle and best of luck, cheers!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
To clarify, is Michigan covering living expenses since you said full CoA? While Mayo is only doing 95% of the tuition component?

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, is Michigan covering living expenses since you said full CoA? While Mayo is only doing 95% of the tuition component?
Yup! It’s a cost difference of about $90k over 4 years.

UMich because it's cheaper, a place you would be more comfortable with, and I have heard nothing but good things about the school.

In my opinion, it's equally relaxed as Mayo as you get two chances on each quiz, flexible dates on when you want to take exams, etc...

Reactions: 2 users
Yup! It’s a cost difference of about $90k over 4 years.
Go to Michigan. Agree with the above that it being cheaper and where you would feel more comfortable are the strongest factors. I have heard that Michigan does try to recruit students who are Muslim and it seems they are going the extra mile.

IM and anesthesia are not ultra competitive specialities. One could pull back and incorporate some down time during the week even if the curriculum is more demanding.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it seems like you would be comfortable at both places from your pros list? Maybe more-so the people/class/relatability to people at Mayo & faculty/demographics of students at Michigan? Not sure if I’m interpreting correctly but you seem like you would be happy with either so try to consider which aspects might impact your life more on a daily basis

Anyways, you should not solely base your decision on the following — but if you think you would want to match IM or anesthesia I’d probably go with Michigan. Neither specialty is over the top competitive. If you have any inclination to do ophtho or any other competitive-ish specialty, I would say Mayo. Cannot overstate the importance of clerkship grading/AOA (also depends on the composition and ambitions of your class too). Not to say your doors would be closed at either place but you might thank yourself down the line if you go down that route.

Ultimately, your cost of attendance difference is not a huge deal because A. you are graduating almost debt free in both instances and B. I believe cost of living in Rochester is significantly cheaper than Ann Arbor as I believe the college town has exponentially increased demand in housing for many years

Good luck!

Last edited:
I’ve made my decision. Go Blue!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users