Mayo - AZ (100% Tuition) vs. UCLA (50% Tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MayoAZvsUCLA

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mayo Clinic SOM - AZ
Pros
  • 100% Tuition scholarship
  • Mayo name
  • Brand new facilities
  • Small class
  • Like curriculum better
  • Much lower cost of living
Cons
  • Possible growing pains?
  • No MS2-4 on site
  • Scottsdale isn't nearly as cool as LA
  • Summers
Other
  • Pioneer class (this has both pros and cons in my opinion)

UCLA (Geffen)
Pros
  • It's in SoCal
  • Larger school with established support system
  • No growing pains
  • Large urban area with any type of hospital imaginable
  • Walkable neighborhood with lots to do and great weather year round
Cons
  • Less financial aid available, and much higher cost of living
  • Traffic will be an issue during clinical years
  • Need to take an additional course prior to matriculation
Summary:
The only real cons are the lack of MS2-4 support (does that even really happen?) at my worry about the new school having growing pains (everyone at Mayo has assured me that it won't be an issue). The other thing to consider is that getting out of medical school without debt would be pretty amazing.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MS2-4 support is real--certainly at UCLA, where I have received awesome advice and mentorship from my upperclassmen, starting from before I even matriculated here last August. I've get tips from one upperclassman or another on almost a weekly basis throughout this entire year.

But a full scholarship to a top institution is hardly something to take lightly. Like I've told many others, I think you should talk to attendings you know personally and who know you personally; they can give much better advice tailored to you and your personal situation, and are a far better source of input than anyone on this forum. Realistically, I expect most/all of them will tell you to take the scholarship, but if you do happen to matriculate at UCLA, I look forward to seeing you here in July!

It is not true that there will be no M2-4 support for Mayo AZ students. Have you not already been contacted by multiple MN students? There are also always M3-4 students doing rotations in the AZ hospitals, and there are plans to assign us "med school siblings" or whatever the name is with upper class students.

Personally, I think you'd be crazy to turn down the full scholarship almosy anywhere, especially Mayo.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a Mayo med student at the Rochester, MN campus. To echo what has already been said, you will definitely still receive support from current students. We are being paired with 1st years in AZ as "med sibs"/mentors. There are also students from Rochester who will be at the AZ campus for rotations and selectives that you can connect with. Some of my classmates are already planning selectives for next year in AZ and everyone is really excited about getting to know the new students. You'll also have TA's for some of the 1st year classes who will be MS3's from Rochester.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the actual cost differential here?

I'd agree that I don't think Mayo AZ will limit you in any way. Mayo will be immune to many of the problems typically encountered by new MD schools (and even then, many of these new schools have still churned out some nice looking Match lists). You will also be able to capitalize on some of the advantages associated with being the first class (access to research/professors, ability to start programs/clubs). If Mayo makes you happier and you think the curriculum/environment suits you better, I think following your gut and the money makes sense.