Max-Fax Surgeon on Boston Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch the new show on ABC? i thought the case she got was pretty cool (but then again, i'm a predent)...i hope she appears more in future episodes.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone watch the new show on ABC? i thought the case she got was pretty cool (but then again, i'm a predent)...i hope she appears more in future episodes.

It's nice to see a DDS on TV who isn't hooked on drugs, a psychotic murderer or a bumbling fool for a change. My research also tells me a dentist made it to the Wipeout zone this week too. Wunderbar!

Last edited:
That's Dr. Troulis. Shes the program director at MGH. Pretty bad ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as I saw the mandible CAT scan, I was hoping an OMFS would make an appearance. I would have thought Dr. Kaban would have gotten the nod for airtime instead if Troulis. Very exciting though!

Pretty cool that in a male dominated profession, Dr. Troulis is representin.:thumbup: . awesome GSW too.

Sure, the show is pretty cool, but via the editing and cherry picking cases and scenes, this show way over-sensationalizes hospital life – not enough of the actual bull**** that actually goes on in the ED (I worked extensively in 3 different ER’s before dental school)

Pretty cool that in a male dominated profession, Dr. Troulis is representin.:thumbup: . awesome GSW too.

Sure, the show is pretty cool, but via the editing and cherry picking cases and scenes, this show way over-sensationalizes hospital life – not enough of the actual bull**** that actually goes on in the ED (I worked extensively in 3 different ER’s before dental school)

Well they don't want the show to be cancelled, and no one is going to watch the show if it's 95% drug seekers, broken bones and homeless people looking to score a hospital bed for the night.

It's nice to see a DDS on TV who isn't hooked on drugs, a psychotic murderer or a bumbling fool for a change. My research also tells me a dentist made it to the Wipeout zone this week too. Wunderbar!

The general public could care less that she is a DDS considering she also has an MD

she's canadian...groooooooss!!! i kid, it's really cool to see an OMFS make the first episode of the show. btw, that er resident was way too emotional

having a fat woman die under her care and being talked down to by her superior might have had something to do with it....but i dunno :whistle:

having a fat woman die under her care and being talked down to by her superior might have had something to do with it....but i dunno :whistle:

haha..being talked down to is part of residency and having people die under your care is definitely a part of an ED residency. maybe she was just trying to be super dramatic for tv

haha..being talked down to is part of residency and having people die under your care is definitely a part of an ED residency. maybe she was just trying to be super dramatic for tv
Maybe she was being human? I do admit that she could have been more confident about doing her job.

There is a whole medical residency for Erectile Dysfunction?!?!?! Or did you mean ER?

Ya'll are much more impressed than I. The other featured docs in the episode were RESIDENTS, not attendings like Dr. T. The footage implied OMS residents to be bystanders that didn't cut, didn't talk to the family, and just plain didn't know what they were doing. This episode made me glad to not be an OMS resident at MGH. Sorry to have this commentary...

Ya'll are much more impressed than I. The other featured docs in the episode were RESIDENTS, not attendings like Dr. T. The footage implied OMS residents to be bystanders that didn't cut, didn't talk to the family, and just plain didn't know what they were doing. This episode made me glad to not be an OMS resident at MGH. Sorry to have this commentary...

I'm not sure you saw the same show as me. There were approximately 30 seconds of intra-operative time, certainly nowhere near enough to decide who did the case (I happen to know the chief on the case - he's a friend from DS. He and the fellow did it from start to finish). Videotaping the attending talking to the patient and their family doesn't suggest that the residents are incompetent, it's just that the attending was the focus for that segment.

This is a TV show and things are edited to make it more dramatic. I can assure you that these residents know what they're doing and do care about their patients.

I'm not sure you saw the same show as me. There were approximately 30 seconds of intra-operative time, certainly nowhere near enough to decide who did the case (I happen to know the chief on the case - he's a friend from DS. He and the fellow did it from start to finish). Videotaping the attending talking to the patient and their family doesn't suggest that the residents are incompetent, it's just that the attending was the focus for that segment.

This is a TV show and things are edited to make it more dramatic. I can assure you that these residents know what they're doing and do care about their patients.

6897round2,
I am glad to know that the residents cut most of the case. My negative view on this is more against the way the footage was edited, making it appear as though the residents had a low degree of involvement/competence. Certainly you are right, you never know what you will get w/ TV. I am not surprised to hear that the residents themselves are competent and good at managing patients.

I was under the impression that dentists had to obtain an MD degree to become OMF surgeon? Only asking because I'm not familiar with dental career tracks.

No sir. there are 4 year (single degree) and 6 year (dual degree that award an MD) programs. Both produce equally competent surgeons. Dr. Troulis is a great example of a full-scope single degree OMFS.