Math...

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am seriously going to do science major or something, I am going to need to know Calculus I front and back.

To be honest I barely passed math this year.

I think it is a combo of just not knowing how to study efficiently and just having a bad foundation.

I do not know what 7*8 is off the top of my head.

Seriously, how pathetic is that?
---
I know I'm not stupid. I'm very smart because I have no problem in other classes. I got into 5 AP's and if I did better in science and math I could have gotten into like 10.

So I know I'm not stupid but I think that just over the years I've never had these basic basic basic concepts down.

I think some of it was a lack of effort on my part but looking back I did have some abysmal instructors.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

I want to understand math and I'm willing to spend the summer learning everything. It's the only thing that matters, I'm going to a CC first anyway (nothing wrong with that).
-----------------------------
Don't answer this unless you can give me some serious advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What pisses me off even more is if I did better I could have finished with close to a 4.0 GPA this year. This and my crappy grade in chem second quarter destroyed it. My GPA this year is good, not that a 4.0 would have helped me, but, whatever...

What is your question? Is it whether or not you're pathetic or explaining calculus concepts to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is Jeff. He thinks of SDN as his personal blog--he never asks questions, just rants and then waits for people to agree with him.

What is your question? Is it whether or not you're pathetic or explaining calculus concepts to you?

Ok.

I don't know whether I should review Algebra II/Trig and jump into calculus or make sure I know simple multiplication.

well you need to know simple multiplication for every day life.. so start doing that ASAP. You can't blame your teachers for any problems with multiplication because it's all about memorization- so that's on you. I don't know how you can ACTUALLY review algebra and trig by yourself, but perhaps you can. I would recommend calling your local college or or grad school and see if there are any math majors that are willing to help tutor you this summer.
Ok.

I don't know whether I should review Algebra II/Trig and jump into calculus or make sure I know simple multiplication.

well you need to know simple multiplication for every day life.. so start doing that ASAP. You can't blame your teachers for any problems with multiplication because it's all about memorization- so that's on you. I don't know how you can ACTUALLY review algebra and trig by yourself, but perhaps you can. I would recommend calling your local college or or grad school and see if there are any math majors that are willing to help tutor you this summer.

Well, I've taught myself how to read music from one instrument and play it on another without any prior knowledge.

I taught myself a lot of English stuff like grammar and stuff.

I don't know why I can't teach myself math..

And by the way, tutors cost money and that is something I don't have a lot of right now. I can afford a few textbooks right now.

That wouldn't equal the price of a tutor. In NJ, 50 is like the min. per hour.

How long have we been talking about this? Get off your ass and do it already.

If you can't do simple multiplication in your head, then it's no wonder you're having trouble in algebra. If you can't do algebra, you probably can't do trig, and you sure as hell can't do calculus. Multiplication is pretty elementary stuff, and you should definitely have that down by the 12th grade.

The **** isn't that hard. Stop worrying about doing it and just do it.

And for science majors you're probably not going to need to know calc unless you're doing certain parts of chem and obviously physics. In biology you'll need to know some very basic algebra for the Hardy-Weinberg equation, and that's probably all. I don't even know if you'd need that if you go into micro.

Math, and calculus, is not the end of the world as you know it. It's pretty simple if you just do it and try to learn the stuff.

If you don't know even basic multiplication and you have no understanding of algebra under your belt, then you really should get a tutor. Unless you plan on reading an Algebra I, Algebra II, and a Pre-calc/Trig book all on your own, which I don't think you have the discipline to do even if you wanted to.

If I recall correctly, you said your dad makes pretty good money. Surely he can fork out a little dough to help his son get through high school math.

Start with a course that fits your level. I would not recommend you taking Calculus this year.

How long have we been talking about this? Get off your ass and do it already.

If you can't do simple multiplication in your head, then it's no wonder you're having trouble in algebra. If you can't do algebra, you probably can't do trig, and you sure as hell can't do calculus. Multiplication is pretty elementary stuff, and you should definitely have that down by the 12th grade.

The **** isn't that hard. Stop worrying about doing it and just do it.

And for science majors you're probably not going to need to know calc unless you're doing certain parts of chem and obviously physics. In biology you'll need to know some very basic algebra for the Hardy-Weinberg equation, and that's probably all. I don't even know if you'd need that if you go into micro.

Math, and calculus, is not the end of the world as you know it. It's pretty simple if you just do it and try to learn the stuff.

If you don't know even basic multiplication and you have no understanding of algebra under your belt, then you really should get a tutor. Unless you plan on reading an Algebra I, Algebra II, and a Pre-calc/Trig book all on your own, which I don't think you have the discipline to do even if you wanted to.

If I recall correctly, you said your dad makes pretty good money. Surely he can fork out a little dough to help his son get through high school math.

I'll ask but he'll probably say no.

If I am seriously going to do science major or something, I am going to need to know Calculus I front and back.

To be honest I barely passed math this year.

I think it is a combo of just not knowing how to study efficiently and just having a bad foundation.

I do not know what 7*8 is off the top of my head.

Seriously, how pathetic is that?
---
I know I'm not stupid. I'm very smart because I have no problem in other classes. I got into 5 AP's and if I did better in science and math I could have gotten into like 10.

So I know I'm not stupid but I think that just over the years I've never had these basic basic basic concepts down.

I think some of it was a lack of effort on my part but looking back I did have some abysmal instructors.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

I want to understand math and I'm willing to spend the summer learning everything. It's the only thing that matters, I'm going to a CC first anyway (nothing wrong with that).
-----------------------------
Don't answer this unless you can give me some serious advice.

That's all we do is give " serious " advice and that still doesn't do you any good . The more advice we give it seems the more indecisive you become .

This must be the one millionth thread on this , I agree with crazyday get off of your butt and just do it . Ask your dad for some help with money to get tutors . Don't do calculus until you have algebra and trig down . Otherwise you'll end up having the same problem as before .

Please take our advice and stop repeatedly asking these questions over and over again . Also , please state what your question is next time , instead of ranting , I can't understand what exactly you need or are asking for ...

a tutor is the wise way to go--if you are serious about what ever it is you
are trying to do, you will find the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is seriously the millionth thread on this..my God.

Your local community college. Go to it. Sign up for an Algebra 2 course this summer, and arrange to retake Pre-Calculus next year. Or, alternatively, get a tutor. You seem to not want to get one for no real reason.

Dodging potential fields of study left and right just because you want absolutely as little math as possible...is stupid. Stop doing that. You can learn the math if you put in the damn time. Especially since your latest intended major seems to be biomedical engineering.

It's not as hard as you're trying to make it. Math is an objective subject; sooner or later you'll get the hang of it.

Especially since your latest intended major seems to be biomedical engineering.

O_O

Jeff doesn't like math and going into Biomed Engineering?

o_O o_O O_O o_o

WTF is going on?

Crazyday hit a home run on that one. Just freaking do it. Learn your math. Going into engineering when you can't multiply single digits is...uh...inadvisable. You don't really need calculus for physics or chem, but an understanding of integrals and derivatives will certainly help your comprehension of some of the topics in those courses. Get the basics down before you try to move on.

This is seriously the millionth thread on this..my God.

Your local community college. Go to it. Sign up for an Algebra 2 course this summer, and arrange to retake Pre-Calculus next year. Or, alternatively, get a tutor. You seem to not want to get one for no real reason.

Dodging potential fields of study left and right just because you want absolutely as little math as possible...is stupid. Stop doing that. You can learn the math if you put in the damn time. Especially since your latest intended major seems to be biomedical engineering.

It's not as hard as you're trying to make it. Math is an objective subject; sooner or later you'll get the hang of it.

This is insane ..he wants to do biomedical engineering now ? I can't keep up .

Ok, I'll start doing it.

Calc I is not going to be the hardest course you'll have to take in college. Not even close.

My advice: Find the solution guide online for your textbook. Go through all the problems you can, not just the ones you're assigned for homework.

If you use the solution guide just to cheat on the HW, you're an idiot. If you use it effectively to study extra problems and learn the material, you'll be fine.

Math is NOT impossible.

Oh and how can you not know 7*8?

5, 6, 7, 8: 56 = 7*8

Calc I is not going to be the hardest course you'll have to take in college. Not even close.

My advice: Find the solution guide online for your textbook. Go through all the problems you can, not just the ones you're assigned for homework.

If you use the solution guide just to cheat on the HW, you're an idiot. If you use it effectively to study extra problems and learn the material, you'll be fine.

Math is NOT impossible.

Oh and how can you not know 7*8?

5, 6, 7, 8: 56 = 7*8

Don't ask, I feel ashamed at myself :mad:.

Don't ask, I feel ashamed at myself :mad:.

For the billionth time, GTFO SDN and learn some math. And stop with the math threads already.. for god's sake..

I don't make fun of anyone but Jeff , if you're having a hard time with regular math maybe you should start there first and leave off the advance maths til you grasp it . It's doable with determination , drive , and staying off of here ....

Well, I've taught myself how to read music from one instrument and play it on another without any prior knowledge.

I taught myself a lot of English stuff like grammar and stuff.

I don't know why I can't teach myself math..

And by the way, tutors cost money and that is something I don't have a lot of right now. I can afford a few textbooks right now.

That wouldn't equal the price of a tutor. In NJ, 50 is like the min. per hour.
Best way to learn math? Practice.

Best way to stay motivated to practice? Make it fun.

Best way to make practicing fun? Play a computer game.

If you cant think quick enough to figure out what 7 times 8 is then you have no reason to be a doctor. What are you going to do when somebody comes in with a leg cut off and blood out there eyes. ;)

Lol seriously man, how old are you anyways?

Tutors in college are FREE. ZOMG!!! CRAZY right???

I think you still want to be a doctor? but if not, my bad.. can't keep up.

I'm going into medicine also, here's the two math classes I take.
- Applied Statistics -Applied Calculus.. thats it. and there really not that hard

ALSO math classes are most likely the EASIEST classes you'll take. Math has one right answer.. math cannot be misunderstood by a professor. You do the work and you get the answer. In biology or anatomy or chemistry you have to work it out yourself and a professor can easily see something differently than you do such as in a lab, etc..

Dude stop doubing every ******* thing you do! You need to have some confidence to make it in this world especially if your considering a career like this.

Just my two cents.

You don't need to know calculus front and back to be a doctor, you need to be intelligent. Honestly, if you spent as much time doing what people suggest to you as you do on these forums ranting, you would have figured out what works for you. Instead of asking peoples opinions, get a book, shut off your computer and DO WORK. You would be surprised how much doing things actually helps rather than postulating about what you can do.

You don't need to know calculus front and back to be a doctor, you need to be intelligent. Honestly, if you spent as much time doing what people suggest to you as you do on these forums ranting, you would have figured out what works for you. Instead of asking peoples opinions, get a book, shut off your computer and DO WORK. You would be surprised how much doing things actually helps rather than postulating about what you can do.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: