Math wizzes...need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamezuva

Have Faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got back some scores a clerkship of mine, but I don't know how to interpret one column, T-score. Now, I know T-score is used for BMD tests, but the numbers here don't make much sense to me...

Raw Score T-Score
47.31 50
99 72
9.00 61

What do you all make of this??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm betting a t-score is from a "T" distribution, most commonly used for the good ol' Student's t test. I have a fuzzy memory of a t score being shown on bone mineral densiometry output, so I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.

You want to figure out what percentile you are at, and I believe you use the t distribution with 1 degree of freedom (since it's a you vs. some known mean test of sorts). If your t score is 47, then you're somewhere between 97.5% and 99.5% (look at the bottom of this for a table of critical values.

oh, that isn't math, that's statistics ;)

Adcadet said:
oh, that isn't math, that's statistics ;)

Ok, ok, i know, it's statistics... :p ...anyway, i think you hit the nail on the head and the T-scores seem to correlate well with how i did comparatively

Jamezuva said:
Ok, I got back some scores a clerkship of mine, but I don't know how to interpret one column, T-score. Now, I know T-score is used for BMD tests, but the numbers here don't make much sense to me...

Raw Score T-Score
47.31 50
99 72
9.00 61

What do you all make of this??? :confused:

A t-score is a linear algorithm of a z-score, and has a mean of 50 and SD of 1. So on the first score, you're exactly average, your t-score of 72 is over two SD's above the mean, etc.

Anasazi23 said:
A t-score is a linear algorithm of a z-score, and has a mean of 50 and SD of 1. So on the first score, you're exactly average, your t-score of 72 is over two SD's above the mean, etc.

Don't you mean a mean of 0 and the SD varies by df? There's a cute picture here.cute picture here