Maternity leave

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello folks,

i am thinking about starting a family next year and was curious to see what most females in general get for maternity leave.

i am specifically looking for female attendings and wanted to know how much paid leave they are getting. i know technically we're supposed to get 12 weeks unpaid leave per law...but i want to know the average paid leave time that ppl get.

thanks a lot!
gwen

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm PGY-3, our system offers 6 weeks paid, but I actually ended up with 8, but used one week of my 3 weeks of vacation so I guess it was actually 7. One of my resident colleagues just got 8.

The most recent staff physician who had a baby took 6 weeks paid which is the system standard. She was coming back to just 12 shifts per month after that which is full time for her as academic EM.

I personally won't ever take less than 12 weeks maternity leave again. This is after one kid, taking only 8. Of course, some people are fine with 8 or less so it is a very personal decision.

i looked into this. technically we can take 12 weeks off by law, aka FMLA - (men, women, residents, attendings, lawyers, janitors, whoever). but the main question is how much of that is paid. i found out my job covers 8 weeks paid, then i can add some paid vacation to it and finish off the 12 weeks with some unpaid time as well...that is fine by me. of course its harder to do this as a resident since if you take more than a specific amount of time off, you may have to extend residency past your graduation date.

i plan to take the entire 12 weeks off and then go part time...which hopefully is 7 shifts a month for me. **fingers crossed**