Matching through SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BZ

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering if it is at all posible to match through SOAP without participating in the main match? I understand that in order to be SOAP-eligible one must be registered with NRMP for the main match and to not have matched with any program, but I was wondering if one could register for NRMP, not rank any program (not participate in the regular matching process) and then try to match through SOAP for any unfilled position.

To give you some context, I'm an IMG 2019, been studying for Step 1 for the past year (was supposed to take it in April but due to COVID will be taking it a week from now), and planning on taking Step 2 CK in December. This means I won't be ECFMG certified by September and not eligible to participate in the match. But I was thinking I could potentially register for NRMP, take CK in December and get my ECFMG certification, use January and February to get another LOR with an observership I have lined up, and when the Match comes out in March, try to find any unfilled positions and match through SOAP rather than wait until September of next year to begin applying to the match. This could potentially get me into residency a year ahead of plans.

Was wondering if this is at all possible and if anyone has any information on this I would highly appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can do this. You could still apply for some positions in the regular match -- as long as you're ECFMG eligible by the rank deadline, you qualify for the match. But I agree that many programs won't consider you without the S2 score.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you can do this. You could still apply for some positions in the regular match -- as long as you're ECFMG eligible by the rank deadline, you qualify for the match. But I agree that many programs won't consider you without the S2 score.
Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure if it was possible. Appreciate it