Matching Psych with just comlex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rraspirer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm extremely interested in applying to psych residencies this fall.
~600 COMLEX 1 and decent amount of psych experience
Do I have a shot given the increasing desirability of psychiatry? - Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The charting outcomes show that you have a pretty good chance at matching psych, I would apply to some former AOA programs, theres around 16 in total, as well as some lower ranked university programs, having a USMLE score certainly helps but its not absolutely required for psych, you should be fine as long as you don't apply to only the top programs. and also no LOL , psych is not insanely competitive by any means, average board scores are still low, with the DO match rate into psych for 200-220 step 1 being in the 90%+ range, psych prioritizes other stuff more than just board scores such as personality, fit and commitment to the field. Its by no means derm, plastics or ortho lol.... some of the weakest students go on to match psych easily...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm extremely interested in applying to psych residencies this fall.
~600 COMLEX 1 and didn't take step 1. Was always just a little above average rank-wise. Lots of psych experience since even before med school. Do you guys think I have a chance without step 1? Any advice? I keep reading forums where people keep mentioning how psych is getting insanely competitive. Do you think I'll need to take Step 2 in addition to Level 2 in order to apply for psych, and is it worth it to have a backup of FM? Thanks

Nah, I think you’re ok for psych. Get three strong Psych letters and gear your application toward that goal. You should do well.

Reactions: 1 user