Matching Ophthalmology with No Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undes1–

I had another thought about choosing where to do away rotations. Look at the residency match lists for a given program— many ophtho programs post profiles of their residents (and which med schools they come from) on their websites. This might give a clue as to where they take some students from…. Also, maybe rotate at a larger program. They may have more ability and leeway to reserve a slot for a great visiting med student. Something like LSU. I think they take 7 residents per year.

No need to beat a dead horse here. Let us know what happens with an update to this thread next year Feb 2023 (ophtho match time) or perhaps Feb 2024. Maybe I’ll remember to check!
Yeah we've developed a short list of programs that she is gonna try and do her away rotations. These programs are, to the best of our research, low on research output and big on community medicine. Of course when the time comes to apply she'll be sending out to probably 80 programs, but for the away rotations, it requires more more nuance with the selection.

Thanks again for your encouragement!!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck!
As I suggested recently, there might become a point in these away rotations where she will become bored with just being an observer. It is bound to happen. In fact, she might even lose some of her enthusiasm for the field. On top of that, she might be working under a stressed-out first year ophtho resident! So for perspective she should try to observe the senior residents, most of whom have grown to love what they do…

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with prior advice. As many aways as possible. Try to do aways at programs with a history of taking rotators. Applying with no home program makes things very difficult; private practice LoRs don’t carry the weight of letters from well known academics. So her best chance is to find a program that has a history of taking rotators, and blow them away during her away rotation. And get strong letters during her aways from well known people.

Her best path (if not doing a research year) is exceptional performance/personality during away rotations.

No one can tell you whether a research year is “required”; it certainly would help her chances but would not be a guarantee. I also know of people that have matched without research, but they were able to do aways early and at least start and submit pubs for research prior to the application cycle. If she is truly ophthalmology-or-bust and can’t see herself doing any other field, then it’s worth considering a research year. I didn’t do one myself (not ophthalmology but a similarly competitive field) but I was comfortable with another field as a backup.

i also agree with previous posters who think the fact that research years have become so prevalent is a major problem. Extending med school to 5 years should not a common avenue to matching. But we work with the cards we’re dealt.

Also see if her school will allow her to do an away at the end of her 3rd year (and move her 3rd year rotation to later in her 4th year). Some schools will be flexible here because of the early match timeline

Members don't see this ad :)
I guarantee there are some program directors who have a soft spot for students in your wife’s situation. Near or at the top of their class from a non-supportive medical school without an ophthalmology department. She’ll get in somewhere.
(I myself would take the risk and not do a pre-match research year. Even with a research year there is still no guarantee of matching afterwards, and there’s an opportunity cost associated with giving up ANOTHER year of one’s future high earning potential).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I guarantee there are some program directors who have a soft spot for students in your wife’s situation. Near or at the top of their class from a non-supportive medical school without an ophthalmology department. She’ll get in somewhere.
(I myself would take the risk and not do a pre-match research year. Even with a research year there is still no guarantee of matching afterwards, and there’s an opportunity cost associated with giving up ANOTHER year of one’s future high earning potential).
Yeah we've spoken many times about a research a year and she is completely certain she does NOT want to do a research year. I feel for her. It's already hard enough to find opportunities. She would have to leave the area to go find a different school or program to do research at, and that means we would be living long distance... After two miserable deployments apart, we aren't willing to do that again...