Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm posting this thread out of concern for a friend, and I would genuinely appreciate advice/insight regarding her situation.

My friend matriculated to a top 20 US MD program and finished the first 2 years before she withdrew due to personal circumstances. After her school did not let her return and no other stateside programs allowed her to transfer her credits, she ended up matriculating at SGU in the Caribbean. Her goal is to become a pediatric neurosurgeon, and she has remained steadfast in her conviction. She is currently a second year and plans to return to the states for rotations (I think? Although I'm not sure how that works these days, given the pandemic).

I know that there are some (6) US IMGs who matched neurosurgery in 2020, but it seems that any red flag would drop kick an application out of contention, especially for such a competitive field. My concerns are that her previous withdrawal and subsequent matriculation at an offshore school would likely render her app DOA at most, if not all, programs. I've attempted to talk to her about this and perhaps aiming her sights lower to avoid going unmatched, but she's of the "I've made it this far and my classmates didn't because they didn't work as hard" mentality.

Like I said above, I would appreciate any thoughts on this situation. I know that it's likely too late to do anything about her enrollment status, but at this point, is there anything she could do to salvage her application, or is she likely to be one of the many Caribbean graduates who go unmatched?

I would also appreciate if you did not quote this post in your replies. Thank you!
She's not matching in neurosurgery. Period.

Peds? Like Pediatrics? Maybe, if she does well going forward.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't sugar coat this, your friend had better get used to the idea of not matching in Neurosurg. Going IMG is a red flag already, and then dropping out of a US MD school is a MAJOR red flag to PDs.

data below from the Program Director's survey for 2020
Interview IMGRank IMG
OftenSeldomNeverOftenSeldomNever
Radiation Oncology0673307129
Dermatology0584205842
Orthopaedic Surgery3494934651
Otolaryngology4762046432
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation6821268212
Neurological Surgery8771587715
Interventional Rads9731897318
Child Neurology127612127612
Internal Medicine/Pediatrics144343144343
Obstetrics and Gynecology165628165430
Radiology-Diagnostic2274426704
Emergency Medicine236413235918
Plastic Surgery253342253342
Vascular Surgery29710434314
ALL Programs295417285220
Anesthesiology3260832608
Thoracic Surgery332542402040
Psychiatry345511295516
Neurology3660436604
Transitional Year36577275518
Surgery374915324523
Family Medicine424414433918
Internal Medicine494011454311
Pediatrics5043851418
Pathology7030068320

Reactions: 1 user
Chance of matching into neurosurgery as an IMG is literally as close to zero as you can get. Pediatrics is attainable, but maybe not at the programs that SHE would be wanting/shooting for. When she applied to the Caribbean is the time she threw away any chance at surgical subspecialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gutonc @Goro @TheBoneDoctah Thank you all for your honest responses! They were pretty much in line with what I suspected after looking up data from the NRMP, but she seems to have the idea that as long as she wants it it'll come true. I wanted to hear from people who have either been through the process or know it like the back of their hand instead of the spiels they feed her at SGU. I'll try to convince her to apply to other specialties when it comes the time for that, but ultimately it's her future and not mine she's messing up if she decides to only apply neurosurg. Once again, thank you all for your honest feedback. I truly appreciate it.
There's one other problem, the withdrawal from a T20 is derogatory as personal circumstances not allowing reentry are usually considered that way. This sends up major red flags that would have been hard to overcome even with a normal stateside school graduate. Matching into a residency period is going to be difficult with Caribbean, but it will be even more difficult for her.

There's one other problem, the withdrawal from a T20 is derogatory as personal circumstances not allowing reentry are usually considered that way. This sends up major red flags that would have been hard to overcome even with a normal stateside school graduate. Matching into a residency period is going to be difficult with Caribbean, but it will be even more difficult for her.
On top of what @lord999 said, if she applies NSG without a backup, she is literally setting herself up to not becoming a physician AT ALL. She won't match NSG, so she needs to have FM/peds/IM in her application as well. If she does not match, that will be ANOTHER red flag and the chances of her matching next year are basically none.

Just agreeing with above. The IMGs who matched are almost certainly highly competitive foreign applicants who have already been practicing in their home country for years, or maybe Canadian applicants. I can't imagine they are Caribbean graduates, let alone someone who withdrew and then matriculated elsewhere.

Million $ Mistake | Caribbean Medical Schools – dream stealers (wordpress.com)

Tell your friend to read this. Guy went to SGU and was certain that if he did really well he'd get into ortho. He did really well. Spoiler alert, he didn't get into ortho. SOAP'ed into IM. Then wanted Cardiology and did get a spot but was really angry he didn't get a great spot.

Top performers out of SGU can get really great spots. But ortho or NSG? Almost certainly not without connections of some sort.

@lord999 @TheBoneDoctah @GoSpursGo @NotAProgDirector I've read through all your posts, and I agree with all that you've said, especially with the T20 withdrawal being a major red flag. I'll show her this link, but if she doesn't add primary care specialties to her school list then I've done all I could. Thank you to all the contributors in this thread- I appreciate that you took time out of your days to answer this.
A couple of concerns:

Why wouldn't her former school take her back? That itself is a red flag, or at least often related to a different red flag.

Also, she didn't matriculate in the US elsewhere because they wouldn't transfer the credits? You state she's a 2nd year now in the carib... which means maybe 1 year transferred over, or did she start over no differently than not transferring any credits to another US school? I just think it was a bad decision to go to the carib if it was over one year of credit vs staying in the US, and especially if she started over anyway. The other fishy thing here is the lack of ability to transfer any credits. Were there other ref or even yellow flags not being mentioned? B/c I know multiple people including myself who transferred medical schools between 1st/2nd and between 2nd/3rd year.

After completing her 2 years, did she not take her step 1? Usually transferring is easier since all pre-clinical work and USMLE/COMLEX 1 are taken in which its less about "transfer credit" as much as it is assuming everything that needed to be covered was covered, evidenced by Step 1.

I would let your friend know the honest truth that the chances are as slim as they can be. It honestly sounds like she is pretty set on it though and has the thought process that "if I believe in it hard enough and put enough effort it will happen" which is a great mindset but not for her situation.

Encourage her to look into pediatric neurology or perhaps another procedure heavy area that focuses on peds that she may be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.