Matching in Specific City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhustle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MS3 at a Midwest DO school who is looking for any other advice or actions I can take to match Psych in a specific midwestern city. So far I think I’ve been doing the standard stuff, pass Step1 and Level1 first try, have some research that should be added to significantly during 3rd year with 2-3 more pubs, volunteer weekly, solid class rank, membership in honors societies and club/class leadership. Naturally I don’t know what I will score on Step2 and Level2, but I would have been significantly above average on Level1 and probably right at average for Step1 had it been scored, so I likely won’t have tremendous scores for Step2/Level2. The problem is the specific city I am hoping to match in has only two programs and two medical schools, and as a DO OOS I know I’d be relatively at the lower end of the pecking order.

Of course my main concern is matching in general, and I would be very happy at my home program or anywhere that offers great training. But if I am aiming for a specific city is there anything I could start doing early to get on those programs radars besides sub i’s/audition rotations at those locations come fourth year? The rising competitiveness of psychiatry has started to get to me a little…

Members don't see this ad.

Sub-I/Audition during interview season. That will guarantee you an interview (at least out of courtesy), your work ethic and how you gel with other residents will be essential to increase your chances at matching.

Good luck! Get on VSAS yesterday if you haven't applied for Sub-I's at these two programs.

Reactions: 2 users
When application time comes, be sure to include any connections to the geographic area that make it an ideal location. This does matter to some programs and will help answer the question "Why us?"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sub-I/Audition during interview season. That will guarantee you an interview (at least out of courtesy), your work ethic and how you gel with other residents will be essential to increase your chances at matching.

Good luck! Get on VSAS yesterday if you haven't applied for Sub-I's at these two programs.
I just started 3rd year so I can’t do VSAS yet, but I’m definitely planning on being ready come January when it opens up.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above. If this is very important to you, this is one of those times where an away rotation (where you do your very best to impress) is worthwhile. Programs also like having residents who really want to be there, so make sure in your application to convey your excitement about the area and the program.

Reactions: 1 users
We ultimately have relatively little control on where we match to (unless you want to be in one of the largest metros that have several programs). I think you already know what you can do to maximize the odds in your favor (strong grades, Step 2 score, away rotations, LoRs, personal statement including why the area is so important to you). The next step is just coming to accept that it isn't entirely under your control no matter what you do, time to just buckle in, do everything possible, then let the chips fall as they may.

Reactions: 1 user