Matching coming from an island school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aubm713

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see if anyone had stories about matching to specialties coming from an island school. I was accepted to both Ross and SGU (although only through the FTV program at SGU), and I'm currently waitlisted at Western. I'm trying to decide whether to pursue a degree at an island school, but I'm nervous about the stigma. How hard is it to match into competitive internships or residencies from an island school? Some of the specialties I'm most interested in are Optho (one of my cats is an optho problem child), IM, Pathology, and Zoo/Wildlife. I know Zoo in particular is just flat out insanely hard to break into, but I just want a realistic opinion on if I significantly reduce my chances by going to either school vs reapplying.

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike human med school, there isn’t really a stigma for island schools for vetmed. One of the cardiologists at UIUC(unsure if he is still there but was before I graduated) went to Ross and so did his wife(she’s in private practice dentistry). I know one of our exotics doctors also went to an island school. One of our rotating interns from my clinical year went to sgu and just matched to an ECC residency and I know his wife(also sgu) is doing a surgery internship(I don’t know what she’s doing next year internship or residency-wise because I only know her husband). I’m pretty sure someone from an island school that’s on sdn is doing a radiology residency. Those are just the ones I can think of immediately off the top of my head. It most definitely is possible to specialize if you go to an island school. Make the most of any breaks you have(if you’re at sgu) and make connections at whatever school you do your clinical year at.

Reactions: 1 user
I wondered about this during my pre-vet years, and I worked with almost all Rossies or SGU grads at my previous job. They said that fewer of their classmates tried to get into residencies or internships, but everyone that did (and had the grades to back it up) had no trouble matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only people that will tell you it will be an issue are: a. Human medical folks who have no idea, and b. Undergrads/pre-vets that like to belittle others to make themselves feel better.

Source: Ross grad. Got my first choice internship and residency. Youll be fine. Go to the school that offers you direct entry, not vet prep or whatever sgu does. It's expensive enough, don't take out private loans for a prep program unless you have to.

Reactions: 2 users
SGU alumnus and current 3rd year radiology resident. It's possible, and I know several others who have matched into other specialties as well. The only people I personally see still perpetuating a stigma about island schools are people applying to vet school, tbh.

Reactions: 3 users
Actually there is no stigma whatsoever. I did vet school in a 3rd world country ( lol to save tuition- My entire tuition was 25K USD). And I matched to the AMC for an Internal Medicine residency. It really depends on how hard you work during your internship year and how committed you are to achieving your goals

Reactions: 1 user
a. Human medical folks who have no idea
This is probably an inadvertent part of the problem for sure because the island human medical schools really are poorly regarded because of significant attrition rates and other negative factors. It seems human medical professionals can't comprehend how vet med is different.

Reactions: 1 users
I work with a bunch of rossies, and none who are good seem to have any issues matching. Even the ones off cycle with start/end dates often find cool/unique opportunities for internships that I think might even get them an edge.

Reactions: 1 users
Rossie finishing up clinics at TX A&M here- there are currently 3 rossie alum that are residents here (LA IM, LA surgery, SA IM) and I know Of at least one incoming rossie intern (SA rotating).

Zero judgement against us islanders 🙌🏻