Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FNPBC2MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a tedious question. When it is time to match, do we choose just one area or do you get to choose a few choices then find out what you matched with?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You make a ranked list of programs you want to match into, like specific programs (for example... Baylor IM). There's no specific number, though I hear of numbers like ~20-40. If you only want to match into a specific area, you can make your list entirely of programs in that area. If you only want to match into a specific specialty, you can make your list entirely of that type of specialty program. Each program will make a list of their candidates, who are ranked. All these lists go into a computer program, which will "match" you with a program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add, the match is a legally binding contract. When you match at a program you are legally obligated to go there.

You first apply to programs you are interested in (this number can be high, like 80+ programs) and then they can invite you to interview, and you rank the programs you interview at according to personal preference and the programs do the same with their interviewees.

ACGME residency match application opens in September of your 4th year and the match is in March of your 4th year. I applied to like 60 anesthesia programs, got invited to 40ish, and I went on 20 interviews. If you do a fellowship you may or may not have to do another match depending on the speciality you're applying for. You typical apply for fellowship in your second to last year of residency or your last year of residency.

ACGME residency match application opens in September of your 4th year

Do you generally have your whole application done by then and ready to submit? Is it important to apply really early like it isn't for med school?

Do you generally have your whole application done by then and ready to submit? Is it important to apply really early like it isn't for med school?

My wife and I had our applications ready to go on day 1. It's important to keep in mind that residencies do not need a totally complete application to invite you, which is different than medical schools. Your dean's letter or other LORs could be missing, but if your board scores look good and your personal statement isn't crazy they will probably invite you. Programs usually require all the components of your application (board scores, grades, LORs) before the actual interview, though. I'd recommend applying as soon as you can. Basically once you have step1/level1 scores, a personal statement, and the CV portion filled out you can submit. The other stuff can be added later. Does it actually matter? I don't know. Many program directors are busy and won't start looking at applications until October or November. I did get my first interview invite, which was from a top 5 program, within like 10 hours of submitting.