Match List 2020 - post what you got

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopkins also had people SOAP in departments like Urology, Ortho and Ophtho this year. That's why I want to know NorthState's SOAP rate...it is probably a jaw dropper.

That's literally insane.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins also had people SOAP in departments like Urology, Ortho and Ophtho this year. That's why I want to know NorthState's SOAP rate...it is probably a jaw dropper.
How does one find out? I’m guessing one would have to ask someone attending that schoo?

How does one find out? I’m guessing one would have to ask someone attending that schoo?

I would think you would have to ask the administration directly. I only know of the people in my class not matching because I knew who was applying and cross-referenced it with our match list (plus you can kind of tell from people who only matched prelim medicine or surgery years). There could be many more that didn't match or had to SOAP that I'm not aware of. We usually have a class meeting to go over match but we haven't had it yet due to spring break, so it's still possible our admin will tell us the SOAP rate, but a current student most likely won't know.

Schools generally don't let that info out officially. You either need to see a full match list where you spot the obvious SOAPers (like tons of prelim-only matches) or know the headcount from the rumor mill among the students

That's literally insane.
It's not the first time it's happened in recent years. Per the grapevine, one of the failed matches even had >250 boards, all Honors, and significant research...still failed. Now there might have been some obvious risk factor in hindsight, like not applying to any safety schools or having extreme nerves at interviews. But yeah, even when people are perfect on paper, nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: 2 users

SOAP isn't a thing in ophthalmology. There was 1 unfilled spot but it was never posted because it filled instantly, is that the spot you are talking about? Also, no one from Hopkins SOAPed into urology, which also does not SOAP. There was one vacant spot and it was filled by a student from MCG.

Or am I misunderstanding you and you are saying JHU had people not match into those specialties and then proceed to SOAP? If so, my bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
SOAP isn't a thing in ophthalmology. There was 1 unfilled spot but it was never posted because it filled instantly, is that the spot you are talking about? Also, no one from Hopkins SOAPed into urology, which also does not SOAP. There was one vacant spot and it was filled by a student from MCG.

Or am I misunderstanding you and you are saying JHU had people not match into those specialties and then proceed to SOAP? If so, my bad!
I'm just misusing SOAP as shorthand for a failed match. I believe they decided to do a research year and reapply.

Made our own make shift couples match ortho/ophtho. Both of us matched in the NYC area!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno man. I know one of their Plastics applicants clearly failed to match. Would having 2 Ortho and 1 ENT match still impress you if you found out there were half a dozen others who failed to match their surgical subspecialties? I'd still have a pretty abysmal opinion of that
on top of CNU being a new for profit school, we don’t know if that plastics candidate even was a good applicant compared to his or her fellow applicants from more established places

Alot of people doing internal medicine seem to choose university programs, i still dont understand the benefit of that vs a well known program like ochsner or methodist houston

Baylor College of Medicine
1584992544924.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Lol 1 radiology, and yet 15 eyeball dentists? Are they like this in prior years too?
5 DR, 2 IR
Baylor has a special DR residency called "ESIR" that they list separately on this chart.

Reactions: 1 users
Alot of people doing internal medicine seem to choose university programs, i still dont understand the benefit of that vs a well known program like ochsner or methodist houston
Access to fellowships to subspecialize.

Reactions: 2 users
I dunno man. I know one of their Plastics applicants clearly failed to match. Would having 2 Ortho and 1 ENT match still impress you if you found out there were half a dozen others who failed to match their surgical subspecialties? I'd still have a pretty abysmal opinion of that

Going to be an unpopular statement but CNU's list looks like a DO list honestly.

Reactions: 6 users
This is last year's list! (Crossref'd with my tiny specialty).

Correct, here is this year's list for Columbia

Anesthesiology
Columbia
Stanford
Mount Sinai
WashU

Dermatology
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Brown

Emergency Medicine
Mass General
U Penn
U Mich

Family Medicine
Alina Health
Columbia
Brown
VCU-Fairfax

Internal Medicine
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Columbia
Brigham & Womens
Brigham & Womens
Mass General
Mass General
Beth Israel Deaconess
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Yale
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
USC
U Penn
U Wash
U Pitt
Wash U
Cornell
Tufts
Northwell-Lenox Hill
Montefiore
U Utah

Neurological Surgery
Columbia
NYU
Baylor
Brigham & Womens

Neurology
Columbia
Columbia
UCSF
U Washington

OBGYN
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Brown
U Miami/Jackson Memorial
Tulane
Medstar Washington - Georgetown
OHSU

Ophthalmology
U Pitt
Columbia
Columbia
Dartmouth
USC
Ohio State

OMFS
Columbia
Columbia

Orthopedic Surgery
Columbia
Columbia
Duke
Mass General
Mount Sinai
Howard
NYU Winthrop

Otolaryngology
Columbia & Cornell
Columbia & Cornell
Duke
Stanford

Pathology
Columbia
U Washington

Pediatrics
CHOP
CHOP
Columbia
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
U Washington
U Washington
UCLA
Baylor

Plastic Surgery
Cornell

Psychiatry
Columbia
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
U Penn
NYU
NYU
NYU
Mount Sinai
Montefiore
Johns Hopkins
Mass General
Yale
Yale
UNC
USC
USC

Radiation Oncology
MSKCC
MD Anderson
Columbia
Mount Sinai

Radiology
Columbia
Columbia
Cornell
Downstate

Surgery
Duke
Northwestern
NYU

Urology
Columbia
UCLA
Mount Sinai
Wake Forest
Downstate
Lahey Clinic

GW

hol up, wait wat?

To the best of my knowledge Hopkins had 1 person not match Uro and 1 not match ophtho – I think there may have also been an ortho failure in there as well, but I can't say with certainty. One of these applicants participated in SOAP but either did not get a spot or did not want any of the available programs, as they'll be doing a research year/deferring grad. I don't believe anyone SOAPed into one of these surgical subspecialties.

Keep in mind these match lists do not paint the whole picture; very few schools will come out and list the number of unmatched applicants, SOAPed applicants, or those who secured only a prelim spot. Last year there were two folks from Hopkins (derm, anesthesia) that matched only to a prelim so, yes, this does happen at "top 10" schools. In fairness to schools, it is also impossible to deduce if there were extenuating factors (ex: challenging couples match, strict geographic constraints, board failures, professionalism issues). Also, schools may have more lax vs. stringent "gatekeeping" when applying into certain specialties.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have UCSD's match list (even from any of the past couple of years)? I can't seem to find any records of them :(

why are some schools so secretive about these? i would think every school would have it up on their website

Generalized trend is schools that match well post theirs to brag about themselves. Other schools hide it because it isn’t as strong.

I agree, this logic makes sense, but then how does this make sense for schools that supposedly have a reputation for matching well. For example, I've been looking for any of UCSD's match lists but cannot find any. I may also just be completely incompetent but who knows :shrug:

Pittsburgh

Anesthesiology - 11

• WashU
  • Vanderbilt
  • Hopkins
  • Virginia Mason
  • UWash
  • MGH
  • OSU
  • UPMC (2)
  • Northwestern
  • Cleveland Clinic