Masters Programs... MAMS or Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icgitar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm trying to decide what would be the best option for me. My GPA from undergrad, cumulatively, could use a little love (however I have a wonderful upward trend going for me). Anyway, I know I would like to do a Masters program, however I'm at a loss as to which one I should choose. I really have two questions.

1. Is there a difference in benefit between attending masters programs in the States versus Canada, if I am aiming to go into medical school in the States?

2. Which one will increase my chances the most in terms of admissions, a masters program in MAMS (medical sciences), or a medicinal research based one such as that of UBC's Experimental Medicine or Interdisciplinary Oncology?

Regardless, I believe I will be doing a 2 year masters program and taking the MCAT and applying for Med School simultaneously.

Thanks, any suggestions are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to show that you can handle rigorous academic coursework you are better off pursuing the SMP. Regular master's programs apparently are not regarded as highly by most medical schools.

Take a one year SMP. I did and my MCAT shot up and so did my GPA.

Those master degrees don't sound rigorous enough imo.

However, if those masters degrees are taught by medical faculty, then it would somewhat serve useful.

SMP might be the way to go.