Masters Program for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am_876

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a final year foreign medical student interested in applying to the US for residency. I have a gap year before residency starts. I want to make use of the time so one of the things I am considering is a Masters program in the US.

Do you know anything about that? Is it a good idea? If yes, which programs would be suitable?
Or should I just stick to observerships and maybe a research job to fill the time?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm a final year foreign medical student interested in applying to the US for residency. I have a gap year before residency starts. I want to make use of the time so one of the things I am considering is a Masters program in the US.

Do you know anything about that? Is it a good idea? If yes, which programs would be suitable?
Or should I just stick to observerships and maybe a research job to fill the time?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

In my opinion a masters will not help the matching process as much as doing research with the PD or chair, or doing a bunch of observerships to get known.

As a FMG you are unknown commodity and having a powerful vouching for you is probably the biggest determinant for a successful match. This is particularly true when considering competitive specialties like PRS or derm where few spots are offered.

Hope this helps