master's program clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letusflyaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I started a 2 year course based MSc and was wondering if anyone knows if I need to finish it before matriculating. I started the program in september so I didnt put it in my primary app (no grades on the transcript), is that an issue?

Members don't see this ad.

It entirely depends on the school and what the acceptance email states (as they can be contingent upon...). However, given that you did not disclose this information in your application, I would think that it'd not be necessary, but it brings up the question, why did you start a 2-year course based MSc if you're hoping to attend medical school in a year?

Dude I'm in the same position as you and got freaking annihilated on here for posting the same question. So for me, I know for a fact that I want to complete my program, regardless of acceptances during this cycle, so I contacted the schools I applied to and told them what was going on. Had to withdraw from a few schools because of their policies. For the ones that didn't say I needed to withdraw, my application probably won't be looked on favorably this cycle since I would be hoping for a deferred entry, which doesn't make sense since I could have applied next year in a timely fashion. This cycle may even be a complete waste for me, depending on how the interviews go and whether or not I decide to withdraw post interview/before acceptance. I was told that I shouldn't bother applying next cycle either and wait for the 2019-2020 cycle to reapply, but I think that's a little extreme.

Even if you don't mind dropping out of your program without completing it, I'd definitely say to contact your schools. If I were you (and I actually am in the same shoes) I'd be really scared how the school would respond if they realized I was hiding the fact I was in a 2 year program (would they rescind acceptance or an interview because I was hiding this from them?). From what I was told, med schools don't want to be pulling people out of programs early (leaves incomplete research projects, wasted resources, etc.) so it would definitely depend on the school. EVMS states on their website that all programs must be complete by spring 2018 for 2017-2018 cycle, so if you applied there then you definitely need to withdraw. Ultimately it'll depend on the schools, so read their policies on their website and contact them separately!

Good luck and it's not the end of the world even though it may seem like it is right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude I'm in the same position as you and got freaking annihilated on here for posting the same question. So for me, I know for a fact that I want to complete my program, regardless of acceptances during this cycle, so I contacted the schools I applied to and told them what was going on. Had to withdraw from a few schools because of their policies. For the ones that didn't say I needed to withdraw, my application probably won't be looked on favorably this cycle since I would be hoping for a deferred entry, which doesn't make sense since I could have applied next year in a timely fashion. This cycle may even be a complete waste for me, depending on how the interviews go and whether or not I decide to withdraw post interview/before acceptance. I was told that I shouldn't bother applying next cycle either and wait for the 2019-2020 cycle to reapply, but I think that's a little extreme.

Even if you don't mind dropping out of your program without completing it, I'd definitely say to contact your schools. If I were you (and I actually am in the same shoes) I'd be really scared how the school would respond if they realized I was hiding the fact I was in a 2 year program (would they rescind acceptance or an interview because I was hiding this from them?). From what I was told, med schools don't want to be pulling people out of programs early (leaves incomplete research projects, wasted resources, etc.) so it would definitely depend on the school. EVMS states on their website that all programs must be complete by spring 2018 for 2017-2018 cycle, so if you applied there then you definitely need to withdraw. Ultimately it'll depend on the schools, so read their policies on their website and contact them separately!

Good luck and it's not the end of the world even though it may seem like it is right now

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! I'll definitely contact them to ask what the policies are. Because of personal reasons, I only applied to yale and einstein but their websites don't say much.

It entirely depends on the school and what the acceptance email states (as they can be contingent upon...). However, given that you did not disclose this information in your application, I would think that it'd not be necessary, but it brings up the question, why did you start a 2-year course based MSc if you're hoping to attend medical school in a year?

You start a 2 year masters then apply to medical school?
Is it your judgement to be questioned or your lack of commitment?

It wasnt an easy decision to start the program, and I made the decision to enter it with the plans of finishing. Right now, I feel like medicine is more for me as I'm learning about the field I'm currently working towards (it's an entry to practice professional MSc) and I'd rather not waste the time and resources of my program/instructors to gain a certification that I may not even end up using. I love what I'm learning, which is why I haven't dropped the program altogether.

And that is exactly reason why the decision to enter a program and not be committed to completing it that will give med school adcom major concern. Med school is a committment and your intended actions (not your words) to leave is huge red flag.

I understand your point of view, my actions portray me to be a fickle minded person. But is trying something out and realizing that it isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life worse than disregarding something without trying at all? as an adcom, would you prefer a person that completed a degree, not use the certification, and then apply to med school over one that realized part way through that medical school was a better choice for them?

I cannot emphasis how much of a red flag this is that many schools will not consider someone who is in the middle of graduate program. PhD program students are routinely told to finish their degree before they apply. I am not giving you my individual opinion here but rather the observation and interaction with multiple adcoms over the last two decades

thanks for your clarification, I appreciate it! :) I really do like what I'm learning and the field (PT), I just feel like it's not what I'd do for the rest of my life. Also didn't want to spend a lot of tuition money and possibly not use the certification, but I guess I should have quit right at the beginning

You just went from bad to worse. You are thinking of quitting a professional health program to go to another one and that wont raise huge flags. This is exactly why the common advice to BSN students is to work in the field for a few years before applying to medical school.

I didn't disagree that it wasn't going to be a red flag, I was looking for clarification about why.

How did I go from bad to worse? Are you saying that it is worse to finish and switch right away than to leave half way? I'm a bit confused again :S

You arent going from a masters to MD...
You are jumping from DPT to MD....
You are abandoning a professional health degree, showing committment issues to long term studies with the intention of starting an even longer professional health degree that requires years of committment.... how do I know you will be committed to this one?

Do you understand the how an adcom will view this? You arent leaving a research degree for clinical studies but leaving a clinical master for a longer clinical degree. You are a risk

It's my mistake for not clarifying, I'm in Canada so PT programs are two year degrees from start to finish and we are granted an MSc, not a DPT. the requirements for certification and scope of practice arent comparable between the countries. it doesn't change your points but the timeline that you are considering may be different.

Regardless, I have already started the program and according to the information that you have provided, it's a shot in the foot whether I leave today (in theory), leave when school starts (if I even get an II or acceptance), or finish the program and apply right after.

I know that my experience over this time will help me be confident in knowing where I want to go. Many people realize their true aspirations after starting elsewhere and I guess my error was realizing it in the middle of an application cycle.

I really appreciate your time giving the information that you've provided, but now I feel kind of silly explaining myself in this thread. you can PM me if there's anything further you'd like to discuss :)

Last edited:
I understand your point of view, my actions portray me to be a fickle minded person. But is trying something out and realizing that it isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life worse than disregarding something without trying at all? as an adcom, would you prefer a person that completed a degree, not use the certification, and then apply to med school over one that realized part way through that medical school was a better choice for them?
And suppose that you decide that medicine isn't what you want for the rest of your life?

This isn't a "dip toe in the water" field.