This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuemd6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this has already been posted before. I am interesting in going to DO school, but did not apply this cycle due to low stats (cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.09, MCAT 500). In the year before I apply, I want to do either a post bacc or masters in order to increase my admissions chances. I also plan to retake my MCAT, as I know I can do much better. I have heard that SMPs are a "last resort" and if you do bad, you are done. Can anyone clarify the difference between the 2 and the benefits of each? And possibly provide some names of programs that would be beneficial for someone with low GPA/MCAT hoping to go to DO school? thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

From the aacomas website regarding gpa:

““Cumulative Undergrad” row indicates freshman through post-baccalaureate work, and the “Overall” row includes freshman through doctoral degree level work.“

I believe admissions committees will be looking at the cumulative undergrad gpa and science undergrad gpa mostly for admission purposes. The masters grades would be reported with the “overall” , so it won’t have as much pull. Therefore, doing a post-bacc is always more favorable and often cheaper.

With this being said - your stats aren’t that bad. Your science gpa is a little low but definitely workable. I would suggest retaking the MCAT and maybe taking a few more upper level science courses to bring up your sgpa a little.

Apply broadly to D.O. schools and you will get in, assuming your volunteering, clinical experiences and essays are up to par

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, sorry if this has already been posted before. I am interesting in going to DO school, but did not apply this cycle due to low stats (cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.09, MCAT 500). In the year before I apply, I want to do either a post bacc or masters in order to increase my admissions chances. I also plan to retake my MCAT, as I know I can do much better. I have heard that SMPs are a "last resort" and if you do bad, you are done. Can anyone clarify the difference between the 2 and the benefits of each? And possibly provide some names of programs that would be beneficial for someone with low GPA/MCAT hoping to go to DO school? thank you!

Note: do bad in either a post-bac or SNP and you're done.
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

From the aacomas website regarding gpa:

““Cumulative Undergrad” row indicates freshman through post-baccalaureate work, and the “Overall” row includes freshman through doctoral degree level work.“

I believe admissions committees will be looking at the cumulative undergrad gpa and science undergrad gpa mostly for admission purposes. The masters grades would be reported with the “overall” , so it won’t have as much pull. Therefore, doing a post-bacc is always more favorable and often cheaper.

With this being said - your stats aren’t that bad. Your science gpa is a little low but definitely workable. I would suggest retaking the MCAT and maybe taking a few more upper level science courses to bring up your sgpa a little.
I am a senior, so would you say the best way to go about this would be to do a DIY postbac? What about a masters at medical school with a linkage (LECOM, Temple, etc.)?

Retake the MCAT and do much better, and you will get in. Don't waste money on an expensive masters or postbacc.

A science GPA of 3.09 is really limiting and a 500 MCAT is also. You might have some luck at the new D.O. schools with lower admission standards but I personally would not want to go to these schools unless it's the absolute last resort.

The fastest and cheapest option can be a DIY post-bacc. Take upper level science courses and crush them, which will prove to adcoms that you can handle it. Retake the MCAT and get >505 and you will be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree. Take a look at ICOM the newest COM on the block, they opened in the middle of the application cycle and have been bombarded with 2K+ applicants for 150 spots. unless you are from Idaho, a 3.1 and 500 MCAT is not getting in.

OP, if you cant retake the mcat and get a higher score, I would look into Podiatry schools.

A science GPA of 3.09 is really limiting and a 500 MCAT is also. You might have some luck at the new D.O. schools with lower admission standards but I personally would not want to go to these schools unless it's the absolute last resort.

The fastest and cheapest option can be a DIY post-bacc. Take upper level science courses and crush them, which will prove to adcoms that you can handle it. Retake the MCAT and get >505 and you will be golden.

I have a similar GPA. See the Osteopathic underdawg thread. My MCAT, however, was a 509. Given my experience and those that I have spoken with, I think it would be reasonable to consider the following:

-retake the MCAT if you can score >505 (this might be the single most effective addition you can make for your application)
- Do a short DIY postbacc in upper level science courses to show improvement
- make sure you have very strong ECs if at all possible (100s hrs clinical volunteering, 100s hrs non-clinical, research if possible, helping the underserved)

I received 7 IIs this cycle with a 509 MCAT and similar GPA, with strong ECs and essays that were pretty well written. I would tend to disagree with posters that suggest you should immediately pursue podiatry or an SMP (very expensive + risky). Further, you should target a variety of schools, not just low-tier DO schools. I would recommend targeting some low, mid, and upper tier DO schools, as well as your state MD and some low-tier MD programs (in the event they see something in you).

If you are applying as a college junior or senior, however, I would really take another year or two to gain ECs. I think that can really help applicants like you and me (at least I believe it strongly helped me).