Masters in Health Informatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartyus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious to know about the masters in health informatics. What are its division, career prospects, job types and salary?

Has anybody applied to this type of program.

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am curious to know about the masters in health informatics. What are its division, career prospects, job types and salary?

Has anybody applied to this type of program.

thanks...

If you are an MD or PhD you are eligible for some of the fellowships around the country that are part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) - website with sites

For example, Harvard has a program that you do research and graduate with a masters. Look around at the other programs, they all have something similar.

The different sections of Biomedical Informatics are the following (Gross view)
1. Clinical Informatics - EHRs, CPOE, ... things that effect clinical practice.
2. Bioinformatics - Gene level, integrating primary knowledge.
3. Imaging -
4. Public health - Disease surveillance....

Job outlook depends on your background. If you are already a doc, then these program train you to be a researcher. But a lot of graduates will go on to be involved in the tech side of hospitals for example a CIO or CMIO. If you go to industry then you'll be developing applications for companies for docs. Lots of career paths and too many to list here: programmers, management, researcher are the broad categories.

Salary is as always dependent on which path you decide on.

Let me know if you want to know more.

I personally know a number of physicians who have gone through these formal programs. Although they can be beneficial, you have to know how you're going to use this education as you map out the rest of your career. If you don't have a clear plan, you could be wasting your time with another degree.