Masters from Ivy League = Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physicsian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.0 GPA / BCPM in undergrad with a BS in Physics. I taught AP Physics for 3 years, worked / did research for a company in the medical physics field for 2 years, have my name on two research papers, and will have a masters in medical physics from an Ivy League school in two years. The masters program includes a minimum of 400 hours of clinical time.

Would an MCAT score of 34 (10 B, 11 V, and 13 P) be enough to get me into an MD program? I want to do Radiation Oncology, and I would think that admissions boards would be able to see my previous exposure, but I'm not sure it will overcome my mediocre (at best) GPA. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.0 GPA / BCPM in undergrad with a BS in Physics. I taught AP Physics for 3 years, worked / did research for a company in the medical physics field for 2 years, have my name on two research papers, and will have a masters in medical physics from an Ivy League school in two years. The masters program includes a minimum of 400 hours of clinical time.

Would an MCAT score of 34 (10 B, 11 V, and 13 P) be enough to get me into an MD program? I want to do Radiation Oncology, and I would think that admissions boards would be able to see my previous exposure, but I'm not sure it will overcome my mediocre (at best) GPA. Thoughts?

No, it does not equal an acceptance. It's great that you have it, but it won't make up for anything if that's what you're asking. And concerning your intended specialty, your undergrad GPA and MCAT do not matter so much. It's all the stuff that you during med school like Step I, clinical evaluations, med school grades, LORs during med school, etc that will determine if you get the specialty you want.

Hopefully. This is hearsay, however:

Unless your undergrad school has a reputation for grade deflation/high caliber academically your GPA might be too low for a lot of med school screens. Also Masters GPA even from Ivy tends to not be weighted nearly as much as undergrad.

However, if you make the screen you seem to be a strong applicant outside of the GPA. You'll need good Letters of Rec, Personal Statement, interviewing skills etc.