Master the boards errata thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Add the error and page number

Members don't see this ad.

Page 60 and 61 of mtb talks about how sustained handgrip decreases murmurs in both HOCM and MVP. Presumably, the increased afterload due to a sustained handgrip will decrease ventricular emptying, which makes the LV chamber larger and decreases the murmur.

Step up to medicine, however, says that sustained handgrip actually increases the murmur of MVP. Doesnt explain why.

One of them is wrong.

Any guesses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Page 60 and 61 of mtb talks about how sustained handgrip decreases murmurs in both HOCM and MVP. Presumably, the increased afterload due to a sustained handgrip will decrease ventricular emptying, which makes the LV chamber larger and decreases the murmur.

Step up to medicine, however, says that sustained handgrip actually increases the murmur of MVP. Doesnt explain why.

One of them is wrong.

Any guesses?

Logically speaking handgrip should decrease HOCM murmur. The murmur in HOCM stems from outlet obstruction. Increased afterload-->dealayed/decreased emptying of LV-> 'smoother' LV function --> decreased murmur.

Logically speaking handgrip should decrease HOCM murmur. The murmur in HOCM stems from outlet obstruction. Increased afterload-->dealayed/decreased emptying of LV-> 'smoother' LV function --> decreased murmur.

SUTM is wrong. IHSS and MVP both decrease in intensity with sustained handgrip -- because it increases afterload and causes increased LV size - which would reduce the size of the defect in both MVP and HOCM

Few errors to contribute (found a lot in here, and most of them are marked, but can't find most of them):

pg. 5 midway down, typo: should read "interferon" not "interreron"

pg 126 - first line treatment for osteoarthritis is Tylenol (acetaminophen) not NSAIDs - remember OA is not a true inflammatory condition - thus can be treated with Tylenol. The side effect profile of NSAIDs is much worse and shouldn't be used when not needed.

pg 147 - not an egregious error, but more a point of contention - under diagnostic testing - a decreased haptoglobin level is definitely found in intravascular hemolysis - but is variable and maybe normal in extravascular - what i read about this was kinda conflicting, but just something to keep in mind.

pg 149 - in the red text when referrring to the treatment of sickle cell: Hydroxyurea is indicated in any patient with greater than or equal to 3 crises a year

(i might be wrong on this one - i'm pretty sure I am - seen some places say 50, some say 55, some say 45+, some even say 40+) pg 172: The very bottom on the answer explanation - You should do an upper endoscopy on any patient over 40

(see above) pg 173: On Peptic Ulcer disease - last sentence - you should scope any patient over 40, not 45

pg 197 - Ursodeoxycholic acid is not used in the treatment of PSC - From Epocrates: "Although UDCA typically improves liver tests... a positive effect of UDCA on PSC has been difficult to demonstrate... more recent evidence suggests that high-dose UDCA may fail to show an improvement in survival. Of further relevance, this trial was terminated early because of concern over adverse effects (more patients in the treated group reached one of the pre-established clinical end points: hepatic decompensation, cholangiocarcinoma, liver transplantation, or death). [45] Therefore, UDCA at any dose cannot currently be recommended for the treatment of PSC"
--- instead treatment should be Cholestryamine for pruritis and Liver transplant as definitive therapy

pg 209 - Ca channel blockers are considered first line in the preventative therapy of cluster headaches

pg. 254 - "Lumpectomy with radiation treatment of the site at the breast is equal to modified radical mastectomy in tumors up to 4 cm." - if greater than or equal to 4 cm, you need to perform radical mastectomy

pg 256: At the table on the top for the 3rd colum with "Three family members, etc." the bottom of the column should ready: "Colonscopy at age 25, then every 1-2 years"

pg 298 - Under managment of acute cholecystitis - #2 should read "These are followed by EARLY cholecystectomy (after 24-48 hours)" --- this has been shown to be best management strategy.

pg. 315 - The treatment for Acute epididymitis for males < 35 should have Ceftriaxone as the drug listed not cipro (and doxycycline is also spelled wrong).

pg. 380 - in the blue box - in the Diagnostic significance column - it has Trisomy 21 listed 2 times. The second trisomy 21 should be Trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) --- while you're at it, add in that Inhibin A is increased for T21 and decreased in T18

pg. 382 - the 2nd bullet point at the top - the sugar values are backwards: it should be 180 mg/dL at 1 hour and 140 mg/dL at 3 hours (the 2 hour value is correct)

page 390, the answer should be triple therapy. The most effective at reducing transmission is triple therapy. One drug can not be better than 3 drugs at reducing transmission particularly when there is an increasing prevalence of Zidovudine resistant HIV.

Last edited:
ur awesome:bow:
lemme ask you this, is this the only book ur using in addition to uw?
do you trust this book?
i feel i need one book memorized, as i did with the first aids for step 1 and 2,
but fa for step 3 seems real weak.....
but the way mtb is written i'm having a hard time memorizing it and moreover trusting it.
thoughts?

Last edited:
Great job blaze. This is some sloppy publishing by Kaplan. There's no excuse for the # of errors.

ur awesome:bow:
lemme ask you this, is this the only book ur using in addition to uw?
do you trust this book?
i feel i need one book memorized, as i did with the first aids for step 1 and 2,
but fa for step 3 seems real weak.....
but the way mtb is written i'm having a hard time memorizing it and moreover trusting it.
thoughts?

I'm actually using this book for step 2, which i'm taking in about 24 hours now. I found it to be the best book for Step 2, even though I can say say that it's far from the only source I used.

But as far as the errors, I'm finding a few errors per chapter in every book that I read now (there is some degree of imperfection that comes in to play when condensing information from many large reference books into a compact review book). Sometimes I think they're too excessive (as in the case of Deja Review for Step 2), other times, i think it's not a huge deal. With Conrad's book, the errors may be numerous, but I think the format of the book is very conducive to my understanding of the material. If there is a better review book out there, I haven't found it.

And while we're at it, one more error:

pg 209 - Ca channel blockers are considered first line in the preventative therapy of cluster headaches

Anyone with any idea of the correct management of a scoping patients with PUD / Barretts / GERD / Non-ulcer dyspepsia --- i can't find one consensus answer in terms of age. I think we can all agree on the alarm symptoms being correct. (the "error" i found on page 172-173 in the above post)

Last edited:
Hey Blaze1984,
I am using master the boards and UW. You said you just recently took the exam, can you give some feedback on if the book was helpful for the test. Thanks! Really appreciate it!

Page 3: Under MSSA -

1. There is no IV preparation of dicloxacillin is there? So remove that from the list of IV choices.

2. Oxacillin and Nafcillin are two separate drugs so it should be "Oxacillin, nafcillin,..." not "Oxacillin/nafcillin."

Page 4:

Gatifloxacin has only been available in the US as an ophthalmic solution for years now.

Last edited:
Page 246-247....the table seems right, but in the text, proximal rta is actually type 2, not type 1, while distal RTA is actually type 1, not type 2 as they have listed. this could really mix someone up.

im about to start --- did you all find UW and MTB to be enough to do well?

Any more errata?

One of them is wrong.

Any guesses?

hand grip exercise/ increasing afterload is the main way to differentiate the murmur of MVP vs HCM (as both are systolic and both decrease with increased preload by squatting, althou HCM has no clicks similar to MVP).
with increased afterload....HCM has decreased/softer murmur; while MVP has a louder murmur

However, in MTB Step 3, on page 60...conrad says that handgrip improves or lessens the murmurs of MVP and HOCM... i think it is wrong!!
" HOCM murmur decreases while MVP murmur INCREASES with Handgrip"

further discussion welcomed

I am not sure there is any correction needed, but rather a question..On page 379...it states that the treatment of a +PPD and -Cxray in pregnant pts is INH +B6 for 9months, is this correct? Wouldnt a +PPD and -cxray simply suggest a latent infection?

I found one - on page 184 (GI section), it's written that Gardner's syndrome does not require any additional screenings and on the table at the bottom of the page, it is grouped with other syndromes that require no extra screening recommendations. However, Gardner's and FAP have the same genetic mutation and are now grouped together. Even if they weren't grouped together, the fact that ~100% of Gardner's colonic polyps eventually lead colorectal cancer and that it is AD inherited should indicate screening should be done at an early age.