Massachusetts :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvTheMices

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Boston. Born and raised and love it. Not so great that my dream is to be a Vet. And that Tufts happens to be in Mass. And that 50% of accepted Vet students at Tufts are FROM OUT OF STATE!!!

Tufts is a great school and it would be so awesome to go there, even though I may be 150,000 in debt, but honestly my chances of getting into my own states Vet school suck. And I am getting discouraged. Looking at nice pretty places like Cali, Fl, and NCstate, statistically accept maybe 1 person a year from Mass.

Any comments are appreciated :scared:
Mass residents, where are you ladies and gents going to Vet school?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I'm a MA resident, born and raised on Cape Cod but I went to undergrad and graduate school in NJ (which is where I am now). This is my first year applying but I don't feel like the odds are so bad with Tufts as an instate applicant. Certainly they are better than any of the other schools I've applied to (NCSU, UFL, Cornell, UPenn, CSU, UC-Davis, and Tufts).

But there are many schools that take a good number of OOS students (The OSU off the top of my head, maybe KSU? etc).

Just make yourself a comptetitive applicant, apply to places you would be willing to go to for 4 years (you can always come back to MA afterwards), and you'll get there.

Personally for me I would like going back to MA simply because I've been gone so long and I miss it. But at the same time, I know I'll probably settle down there in the long run, so 4 years on the other side of the country or down in florida or up in Ithaca would suit me just fine as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I wouldn't mind going away because I will always love Boston and love to come back.. a little light shed on my situation.. thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 2 people in my class from Mass. K-state, Iowa, The OSU all accept a fair amount of out of state students, so you would have a good chance at any of those schools.

Half from MA and half from the *entire world outside of MA* is still not so bad!

Think of us poor souls from VT, CT, RI, or DC who have absolutely no IS or contract options! That's where things get tough.

Hey There,

As someone from NJ for my residency, and having lived in Mass, Ohio State is a great option. We probably have 5-10 Mass residents per class at Ohio State. It's a great option, that can be a little cheaper than Tufts, although I know Tufts is a great school.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

There is myself and 2(maybe 3) other first year students from Massachusetts in my class at Ohio State.

I love it here and would definitely encourage you to check it out. Its not quite as "pretty" as new england, but still an amazing school.

There are a fair number of Mass residents at Penn as well.

Feel I'm goin' back to Massachusetts,
Something's telling me I must go home.
And the lights all went down in Massachusetts
The day I left her standing on her own.

Do you think your chances are slim(er) then normal because its Tuffs, and may have higher standards, or because its 50/50%?

As I understand it, 50/50% is pretty damn good (as an IS applicant). Are there others that have a higher IS acceptance rate?

I know Miss is 50/50, plus I believe the contract seats and the 3+1 students come from the IS pool - but I am not sure of that. I know AlonePear clarified it last year, but not sure what she said.

I'm from Mass and ended up going to Michigan State...I got into Tufts but really wanted to try something new since I've lived in Mass all my life and Michigan had a strong large animal program (not too many cows in North Grafton...). I miss my home state but am really glad that I tried out a new area!! It makes coming home all the more sweet :) I'm the only Mass resident going to school here but there are a lot of east coasters, especially from New York. And basically, Michigan is just a flatter version of Massachusetts, weather and all.

Also, as a random side note...Tufts costs practically the same for in-staters as it does for out of staters. This kinda helps you to keep an open mind when looking at schools. If Tufts had cost significantly less for me as an in-stater, I may not have looked at any other schools since saving money is so important. Since it was practically equal, I got to evaluate the pros and cons at other schools which helped me to pick the one/apply to those that were the best for me and not just the cheapest. Just something to think about...

And if you like California, Western University accepts a lot of out-of-staters as well! Its not in the prettiest area but it IS California...sunny...and warm...

Last edited:
I live in Boston. Born and raised and love it. Not so great that my dream is to be a Vet. And that Tufts happens to be in Mass. And that 50% of accepted Vet students at Tufts are FROM OUT OF STATE!!!

Tufts is a great school and it would be so awesome to go there, even though I may be 150,000 in debt, but honestly my chances of getting into my own states Vet school suck. And I am getting discouraged. Looking at nice pretty places like Cali, Fl, and NCstate, statistically accept maybe 1 person a year from Mass.

Yes, it's true that they accept 50% of their students from out of state... but this is what a Tufts admissions person told me:

Tufts usually get around 160 IS applicants (170 MAX), and they accept 45 from that. As an in-stater, you have a 25% chance of getting accepted if ALL the applicants were equal. Just try to do everything you can to ensure that you're in that top 45/160 students and you're good!

So the odds aren't that bad... If anything, go and make an appointment with Laura Fuller at Tufts. She can sit down with you with your transcript + resume, and she'll tell you exactly what she thinks your chances are and how you can not only improve your candidacy, but also how to best put everything in your application. She's AWESOME and the sweetest person you could ever talk to:love:.

I moved, then applied :laugh: One of the factors of why I moved was exactly this reason!

Then I still went out of state for vet school :smack:

So the odds aren't that bad... If anything, go and make an appointment with Laura Fuller at Tufts. She can sit down with you with your transcript + resume, and she'll tell you exactly what she thinks your chances are and how you can not only improve your candidacy, but also how to best put everything in your application. She's AWESOME and the sweetest person you could ever talk to:love:.

She is great! Helped me out a ton when I saw her this summer. Tufts is my goal.

And slightly O/T: Does one need to be an LVT to be a "tech" in animal hospitals in MA? I say "tech" in quotes only because my position is "tech", but NJ does not require you to be licensed.

She is great! Helped me out a ton when I saw her this summer. Tufts is my goal.

And slightly O/T: Does one need to be an LVT to be a "tech" in animal hospitals in MA? I say "tech" in quotes only because my position is "tech", but NJ does not require you to be licensed.
No.

As far as I knew, most hospitals in NJ require you to be a LVT before being hired as a "tech". I know because I had a hard time finding a job. I think the unlicensed techs in NJ are the exception more than the rule.

I'm from Mass and ended up going to Michigan State...I got into Tufts but really wanted to try something new since I've lived in Mass all my life and Michigan had a strong large animal program (not too many cows in North Grafton...). I miss my home state but am really glad that I tried out a new area!! It makes coming home all the more sweet :) I'm the only Mass resident going to school here but there are a lot of east coasters, especially from New York. And basically, Michigan is just a flatter version of Massachusetts, weather and all.

Also, as a random side note...Tufts costs practically the same for in-staters as it does for out of staters. This kinda helps you to keep an open mind when looking at schools. If Tufts had cost significantly less for me as an in-stater, I may not have looked at any other schools since saving money is so important. Since it was practically equal, I got to evaluate the pros and cons at other schools which helped me to pick the one/apply to those that were the best for me and not just the cheapest. Just something to think about...

And if you like California, Western University accepts a lot of out-of-staters as well! Its not in the prettiest area but it IS California...sunny...and warm...

This is a VERY good point, I hadnt thought about it in this way. Thank you so much for your feedback

Do you think your chances are slim(er) then normal because its Tuffs, and may have higher standards, or because its 50/50%?

As I understand it, 50/50% is pretty damn good (as an IS applicant). Are there others that have a higher IS acceptance rate?

I know Miss is 50/50, plus I believe the contract seats and the 3+1 students come from the IS pool - but I am not sure of that. I know AlonePear clarified it last year, but not sure what she said.

Part of me thinks that Tufts won't think that I am good enough. And most state schools put those who do live in state ahead of everyone else, but not Tufts. So I feel like even though I do want to stay in Mass and goto Tufts, they are more likely to reject me and go with someone better from out of state. And lets me honest most schools that I will apply to out of state, will take precedence to their instate people over me.... Love Triangle from Hell :(

Thank you Minnerbelle and everyone for your thoughtful replies