Maryland vs. Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shocked and excited to have been accepted at both of these amazing schools. Now I actually have to decide though... Basically I liked Pitt more but am trying to figure out if the higher financial cost outweigh this. I would be OOS at Maryland 1st year then IS the other 3 so the cost difference is about 50k (Maryland cheaper). The other large factor is my SO of 4 years who will be moving/working in DC (which he originally chose as I never thought I'd get into Pitt and assumed I'd be in Baltimore). I have some exposure to medonc, EM, and surgery and am leaning towards IM with my current experiences. Any input greatly appreciated!

Maryland
Pros
  • Family in area
  • Many friends that are current medical students- study help/good support
  • SO's job in DC next year (he would live in Baltimore with me)
  • Very close to great research opportunities (in addition to the school)- NIH, NCI, Hopkins etc.
  • Cheaper (~40-50k)
  • I don't have to take any more classes to matriculate

Cons
  • A-F grading (not P/F)
  • Didn't love it during my interview day
  • Medium reviews from friends who currently go here- basically they say acceptable and good education, nothing special
  • Would have to move cities
Medium:
  • Starting over in the community with fewer connections

Pitt
Pros
  • LOVED IT- best gut feel of any school and left my interview day absolutely positive I wanted to go here (its now been 3 months so the doubt creeps in)
  • Amazing research/continuity of research- I currently work with faculty here and have the option of continuing current research projects
  • ^^ current boss also offered to pay me part time to continue research with them (at Pitt you have to do research anyway for grad requirements)
  • P/F grading
  • Overall happiest students I've met- both on interview day and talking with the Pitt med students that work in my current lab (so not just interview selection bias)
  • Good connections in the community
  • Would not have to move (currently live here)
  • Higher ranking/great reputation

Cons
  • Have to take 1 lab (ochem 2 EW- would have to be over summer) to matriculate
  • More expensive
  • Only thing in Pittsburgh is Pitt/UPMC (mostly)
  • Farther from family/SO

Summary: Better gut feel of Pitt but it is more expensive + need to take an extra class before matriculation- is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to Pitt, no question. You liked it more and it will open more doors for you down the road.

Reactions: 7 users
Could your significant other potentially keep their current job and decline the new one and just explain what happened? Would really suck to be separated if they were willing to move for you. But it really sounds like you like Pitt way more.

Reactions: 1 user
Could your significant other potentially keep their current job and decline the new one and just explain what happened? Would really suck to be separated if they were willing to move for you. But it really sounds like you like Pitt way more.

Hes graduating from a PhD so keeping current job isn't an option. Redoing a job hunt in Pittsburgh would be the only option for him to stay here as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pitt is obviously the better school. However, you already have a SO with a job offer in DC. Maryland sounds like a good compromise for both of you. But, if you are making a simple career decision without considering your SO, go to Pitt.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Have to take 1 lab (ochem 2 EW- would have to be over summer) to matriculate

One class in the long run is nothing.

• More expensive

Wait till financial aid comes out. I think they're pretty generous with packages.

• Only thing in Pittsburgh is Pitt/UPMC (mostly)

This is probably a good thing, as you don't have to compete with other students for clinical rotations. Think of how it would be in a saturated city like Phili or NYC. I think those schools are constantly trying to one up each other to get sites for their students. At Pitt, you're the big player - you're the only player! (Also, I think Temple students have the option to do clinical years at West Penn now, which alludes to my earlier point about competition in big cities, they have to ship their students elsewhere).

• Farther from family/SO

Sounds like this is the only real con, and fortunately Pitt --> DC is really drivable. Pitt hands down.

Having a P/F curriculum takes so much pressure off your shoulders (trust me). Plus Pitt is ranked higher than Maryland and they do very well overall. My vote is for Pitt. Good luck either way!

Pitt has so many positives--it was your gut reaction school, it has a substantially higher reputation, and you already live here. Even though you didn't think you had a chance of getting in, you did! I think there are more opportunities to regret going to Maryland; it sounds like Pitt is your dream school! With some time left until the school year would start, is it unreasonable for your significant other to re-do the job hunt?