This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellephant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all - is anyone else in this predictiment? I just want to know other people's thoughts. I was accepted to both programs and I'm not instate for Maryland.

Just looking for opinions from students or people who are also looking into both of these programs!

Everyone always talks money about NYU, but I just wanna know about the experience you come out with (someone is prob gunna say you come out with the same experience ). I just was leaning toward NYU, the class size doesn't scare me because they break it down into smaller families, and my visit to UMB wasn't the most pleasant, kind of dry.

Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all - is anyone else in this predictiment? I just want to know other people's thoughts. I was accepted to both programs and I'm not instate for Maryland.

Just looking for opinions from students or people who are also looking into both of these programs!

Everyone always talks money about NYU, but I just wanna know about the experience you come out with (someone is prob gunna say you come out with the same experience ). I just was leaning toward NYU, the class size doesn't scare me because they break it down into smaller families, and my visit to UMB wasn't the most pleasant, kind of dry.

Paging Dr. @schmoob .

Thought you could get instate in maryland after a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought you could get instate in maryland after a year?

I've heard that this is possible but not guaranteed like other places (UConn for example).

I've heard that this is possible but not guaranteed like other places (UConn for example).

You have to jump through hoops but it's very possible, they had a stat for how many people got it but I can't think of it at the moment.

OP I would go to Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Lol.

The way they break down the class is good. You have classmates that are on a different schedule, so you may not get to know them as well as you would everyone else. But your smaller group you get to know quite well. In fact, it's actually a pretty cool "small class" feeling because it's ~30 of you so you get to know each other well and really take care of one another.
Also, a benefit of the class size is that they have classes set at different times. So if (when) there's a scenario that you have to miss a class or a lab, you contact the professor in advance and ask if you can attend at a different time; they know that sometimes things come up. This way, you don't have any missed lectures or labs. It's not like they offer it only 1 time and that's it. There are classes that are mandatory, for the entire class occasionally that are a 1 shot deal.
Clinically, I think it is good. They prepare you well IMO, but it also comes down to what you want to get out of it. If you want to just do the work, get the credit and move on, then you will be a mediocre clinician regardless of school. But I think NYU does a very good job of preparing you for clinical work. The resources are there. I've spoken to students at other schools and I am way ahead clinically. Maybe they are getting a better education didactically, and that's fine. I didn't decide to go to dental school to be a scientist, I went to become a good dentist. And the didactics are just fine. I've noticed there are lots of VERY smart students there. VERY smart.

If you want to specialize, it's definitely possible. It may not have the Ivy League specialization rate, but could you imagine about 250 people going onto a specialty residency per class, lol? That would be funny. But if you do want to, do well in school, express your interests, and take advantage of the resources available. There are OMS Clubs and Perio clubs, pedo clubs....etc. plus there are Honors courses available for a number of specialties where you are basically integrated into the PG program (more or less). You can learn ALOT about the specialty, but ultimately they are for the residents. It looks great on your Postgraduate applications though!

To be honest, NYU was not the only school I interviewed at. I went to see cheaper, state schools. Honestly, I REALLY enjoyed my interview at NYU more than the cheaper places. I don't feel like they put on a dog and pony show just to lure students in. The warm feeling I got when I interviewed is the same feeling I got while there.
Yes, NYU is expensive. But if you look at their higher tuition vs the tuition plus lots and lots of fees at other schools, they are comparable. And cost of living is, well you're in NYC. But people get a roommate and split an apartment right outside the school. They really arent paying as much as you think. One thing is, you won't need a car, so you will not have the expense of payments, gas, insurance, repairs, etc.
The school has a stigma for being just a greedy money machine that churns out students like a factory. Well, think about it this way: they have money. That means they have great resources available and great faculty for the most part. They don't want to do anything that would give them a reputation for being a bad school.

These are just my opinions, and someone else may disagree. Personally, I don't know you so it does not benefit me in any way if you choose NYU or UMB. So I'm not just blowing smoke up your butt. If I hated it, I would say so, and I would tell you to stay away.

I hope that gives you some helpful info. It would be nice if someone from UMB would talk about their experiences, I'm very interested to hear as well.

Best of luck in your decision. I'm sure wherever you go, as long as you work hard and make the most of your time there you will come out an excellent dentist.

Reactions: 4 users

nyu grad here. go to maryland due to option of getting instate tuition and fees 2,3rd and 4th year. Single room in an apt close to school will run you 1500 in nyc.

Reactions: 4 users
nyu grad here. go to maryland due to option of getting instate tuition and fees 2,3rd and 4th year. Single room in an apt close to school will run you 1500 in nyc.

Wait only $1500? I've been looking at places in Washington heights and it seems that's the price to have a place with two other roommates!

they had a stat for how many people got it but I can't think of it at the moment.

Could you guesstimate what the stat was for people getting in state after D1 at Maryland? Was it more than 50%?

That's true. NYU does make some pretty good clinicians. Two of the six dentists i work with went to NYU (one of them is the owner). They are both the fastest out of the six I would say.

Could you guesstimate what the stat was for getting in state after D1? Was it more than 50%?

For some reason I wanna say they said either 2/3rds or 80%. I have it written down in my notes but they are currently in my hometown.

Reactions: 1 users
For some reason I wanna say they said either 2/3rds or 80%. I have it written down in my notes but they are currently in my hometown.

Oh that's pretty good chances!

And was it financial aid people who said this at your interview?

Wait only $1500? I've been looking at places in Washington heights and it seems that's the price to have a place with two other roommates!

Sorry I wasn't clear about the 1500. Lot of apartments near the school are converted into multiple units. I lived in a 1 bed room apartment converted into 2. So, I paid 1500 for my room and my roommate paid 1500 for his. Combined cost of the apartment is 3k. This was 3 years ago. Not sure what the fees are today.

Bottom line, go to Baltimore. Can't imagine paying 1500 for a room in Baltimore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current D3 at UMB:

Cost is the biggest push for us in my opinion. NYC is a fun city, but expensive to live there. My rent is under 700 a month after utilities in a townhouse. There are really nice apartments and even a penthouse apartment shared with another person is maybe 1000-1200 a month versus that awful 1500.

You can easily get in state after first year. Yes, there are hoops but they are not unreasonable ones: drivers license, car registeration, lease, have a life outside of school.

I like my class size and we break into groups as well. Each class is spilt into 8 general practices 15-16 students. Each GP has 2 smaller groups as well. Then each GP has a sister, so 1/2, 3/4, etc. are together in clinic. Everyone has class at the same time. Labs are usually spilt in half or use GP/groups.

Our school is gorgeous and Baltimore is honestly a fun city to explore at times

Reactions: 5 users
This is key.

Truly is. Dental school is EXPENSIVE. Either way you will be at a good school. UMB is cheaper but has a good rep and solid didactic and clinical portions.

You can easily get in state after first year.
Truly is. Dental school is EXPENSIVE. Either way you will be at a good school. UMB is cheaper but has a good rep and solid didactic and clinical portions.

1fc7gv.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Lol.

The way they break down the class is good. You have classmates that are on a different schedule, so you may not get to know them as well as you would everyone else. But your smaller group you get to know quite well. In fact, it's actually a pretty cool "small class" feeling because it's ~30 of you so you get to know each other well and really take care of one another.
Also, a benefit of the class size is that they have classes set at different times. So if (when) there's a scenario that you have to miss a class or a lab, you contact the professor in advance and ask if you can attend at a different time; they know that sometimes things come up. This way, you don't have any missed lectures or labs. It's not like they offer it only 1 time and that's it. There are classes that are mandatory, for the entire class occasionally that are a 1 shot deal.
Clinically, I think it is good. They prepare you well IMO, but it also comes down to what you want to get out of it. If you want to just do the work, get the credit and move on, then you will be a mediocre clinician regardless of school. But I think NYU does a very good job of preparing you for clinical work. The resources are there. I've spoken to students at other schools and I am way ahead clinically. Maybe they are getting a better education didactically, and that's fine. I didn't decide to go to dental school to be a scientist, I went to become a good dentist. And the didactics are just fine. I've noticed there are lots of VERY smart students there. VERY smart.

If you want to specialize, it's definitely possible. It may not have the Ivy League specialization rate, but could you imagine about 250 people going onto a specialty residency per class, lol? That would be funny. But if you do want to, do well in school, express your interests, and take advantage of the resources available. There are OMS Clubs and Perio clubs, pedo clubs....etc. plus there are Honors courses available for a number of specialties where you are basically integrated into the PG program (more or less). You can learn ALOT about the specialty, but ultimately they are for the residents. It looks great on your Postgraduate applications though!

To be honest, NYU was not the only school I interviewed at. I went to see cheaper, state schools. Honestly, I REALLY enjoyed my interview at NYU more than the cheaper places. I don't feel like they put on a dog and pony show just to lure students in. The warm feeling I got when I interviewed is the same feeling I got while there.
Yes, NYU is expensive. But if you look at their higher tuition vs the tuition plus lots and lots of fees at other schools, they are comparable. And cost of living is, well you're in NYC. But people get a roommate and split an apartment right outside the school. They really arent paying as much as you think. One thing is, you won't need a car, so you will not have the expense of payments, gas, insurance, repairs, etc.
The school has a stigma for being just a greedy money machine that churns out students like a factory. Well, think about it this way: they have money. That means they have great resources available and great faculty for the most part. They don't want to do anything that would give them a reputation for being a bad school.

These are just my opinions, and someone else may disagree. Personally, I don't know you so it does not benefit me in any way if you choose NYU or UMB. So I'm not just blowing smoke up your butt. If I hated it, I would say so, and I would tell you to stay away.

I hope that gives you some helpful info. It would be nice if someone from UMB would talk about their experiences, I'm very interested to hear as well.

Best of luck in your decision. I'm sure wherever you go, as long as you work hard and make the most of your time there you will come out an excellent dentist.

Thanks so much for this excellent info. I definitely found visit to NYU much more welcoming than any other school I visited, so it was nice to hear that someone else felt that way.

Thanks so much for this excellent info. I definitely found visit to NYU much more welcoming than any other school I visited, so it was nice to hear that someone else felt that way.

UMB is a fantastic institution and I thoroughly enjoyed my tour there.

Last edited:
Current D3 at UMB:

Cost is the biggest push for us in my opinion. NYC is a fun city, but expensive to live there. My rent is under 700 a month after utilities in a townhouse. There are really nice apartments and even a penthouse apartment shared with another person is maybe 1000-1200 a month versus that awful 1500.

You can easily get in state after first year. Yes, there are hoops but they are not unreasonable ones: drivers license, car registeration, lease, have a life outside of school.

I like my class size and we break into groups as well. Each class is spilt into 8 general practices 15-16 students. Each GP has 2 smaller groups as well. Then each GP has a sister, so 1/2, 3/4, etc. are together in clinic. Everyone has class at the same time. Labs are usually spilt in half or use GP/groups.

Our school is gorgeous and Baltimore is honestly a fun city to explore at times

Thanks so much for this info! I visited UMB on a really dreary (day after the election) day, so I was definitely sensing some vibes. I plan to go back down and visit to get more comfortable. I guess one of the biggest things that turned me away was that a lot of people said they owned cars and I just don't really feel like investing anytime soon.

Just curious- you mentioned that your visit to UMB "wasn't the most pleasant, kind of dry." Could you elaborate on this, please? Maybe it was just a busy time for the current students?

So UMB was my first choice when I initially applied, but I went the day after the election and I just got a lot of vibes. I took time to walk around Baltimore and take in the area that I could be potentially living. The life of the city kind of died around 5 PM, so that threw me off too. Also - I think my interview went really horribly so that didn't help my day.

The day after the election was scary fland dreary: it rained, mood was down, almost every class had an exam that week, especially the D1s. November is a hell month for them as they have their first gross exams and first round of finals as "real" dental school starts. December is terrible for D3s and iffy on D2s.

The day after the election was scary and dreary: it rained, mood was down, almost every class had an exam that week, especially the D1s. November is a hell month for them as they have their first gross exams and first round of finals as "real" dental school starts. December is terrible for D3s and iffy on D2s.

I guess one of the biggest things that turned me away was that a lot of people said they owned cars and I just don't really feel like investing anytime soon.

You do not need a car. We are uber/lyft friendly and classmates will have cars if you want to go somewhere or grocery shop.

You DO NOT need a car to secure in state. Just a state ID or driver's license

Yeah, it's small but it's not bad. Honestly, you'll be so busy that you won't have time to enjoy anything "nicer." You will be in class or on the lab, or clinic, or home studying.
Despite being in the city, you will always be near friends because most students live in one of the buildings around the school.

If it's alot cheaper for you to go to UMB, I say go there. If it's not enough of a difference to mean anything, go to NYU if you think you will be happier there. Wherever you go, be sure to make the most your time while there.

@zriceman can you talk about your time in clinic, training, and what you've been up to since graduation? I'm curious to talk to grads and hear about the road traveled after school.
Thanks!