Married and applying for PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stmca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, first I want to see if there's anybody else out there (or know anybody) that's in the same boat: married and applying for PT school. If so, what are your concerns and/or plans you have to push through a very busy 3 years?

Also, my next question is about FASFA. I know there is a certain amount you can borrow at the lower rate from the government for post-undergrad work. Since my husband has a steady income, does this mean I will not qualify for the full loan amount with FASFA?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first I want to see if there's anybody else out there (or know anybody) that's in the same boat: married and applying for PT school. If so, what are your concerns and/or plans you have to push through a very busy 3 years?

Also, my next question is about FASFA. I know there is a certain amount you can borrow at the lower rate from the government for post-undergrad work. Since my husband has a steady income, does this mean I will not qualify for the full loan amount with FASFA?

I am going to be commuting with a classmate that is married with a baby actually. Our orientation is tomorrow so I will see what he thinks and try to get back to you on this topic.

But in my general opinion, as long as your husband is very supportive and understanding as to what your about to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. I am no guru on marriages or relationships for that matter but it might be nice in my opinion to make sure to include him to as many events as you can. Of course your probably going to want friend-nights or girls-nights (I would imagine) and thats definitely normal. But just remember that your going to be gone all day and all week during PT school and it will take its toll on any relationship. So when you go out with classmates and take trips and stuff, I just think it would be good for the significant others sake to be included as much as possible.

Like I said, I am no relationship guru or anything but this is just my take on the matter...haha

If you search these forums, you'll find that there are lots and lots of married people attending PT school. I'm married and will be starting PT school next month. My husband has been really supportive and we've communicated extensively about what things will be like over the next three years. He earns a regular income, and I still qualified for the full amount of the Stafford loan through FAFSA, and then a Grad Plus loan on top of that, so I don't think you should have a problem getting the full Stafford loan. They did assign me a high "expected family contribution" which I think was based on his salary, and made my Grad Plus loan offer pretty low. It didn't matter to me, since I'm not taking the Grad Plus loan anyway, so I don't know if there was a way to raise the Grad Plus loan amount if I had needed it. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
And a baby! They will both be very busy. Let me know what he says; I'm very curious. Lucky for me, my husband is very supportive (we just did it all for his paramedic training). I definitely want to be able to spend time with classmates, etc.

@okramango....Thanks!!!

I can definitely see how being married would make the process more difficult. BUT on the flip side, you'll have someone supporting you (I don't mean financially, but probably financially as well) through grad school who you can bounce things off of :) Fair trade I think, but it's really stressful at this stage!

Last edited:
I am currently applying to schools and I am married with 2 kids ages 2 and 5!!! The only limitation I have is I need to get into one of the schools that are close to home. My husband is very supportive and after all I made it through undergrad with 2 kids and no issues :)) good luck!!!

Yeah, I talked to my classmate a bit and he's doing the Grad PLUS Loan. Ive noticed that he makes extra sure to keep his wife in the loop about everything that goes on (even to the point of letting her check his facebook - not sure if there are insecurities there or not). But anyways, he tries to keep her in the loop and asks permission to do things it looks like. It kinda worries me though to be honest because me and him are carpooling since were from the same area and I am afraid that there might be a night when I really wanna go out and his wife says no and I'm stuck taking him home or something...lol We commute about 45 minutes away so I COULD go back...but.......

I was in PT school with a wife and a son. You have to make time for family. It's terrible that you actually have to schedule them in, but it's very important. When they go insane, you go insane. When they are happy, etc.. Know that he will feel neglected at times, but that is normal. If he is the man you describe he will be 100% behind you. Make a study schedule and stick to it.

I'm married with kids, and will be applying to PT school. I don't have too much concerns as this was part of the plan to begin with. My wife finished school, and now it's my turn to go back to school. I figure if my wife can finish dental school while pregnant and have a son, then I should be up for the challenge just as willingly. I'm not too sure on the loans though, I'm hoping the scholarship route will work out. It's doable for sure. gl.

I'm married with kids, and will be applying to PT school. I don't have too much concerns as this was part of the plan to begin with. My wife finished school, and now it's my turn to go back to school. I figure if my wife can finish dental school while pregnant and have a son, then I should be up for the challenge just as willingly. I'm not too sure on the loans though, I'm hoping the scholarship route will work out. It's doable for sure. gl.

Don't forget to look for stipend jobs as a research assistant. For some places, it could potentially pay for most of your school and you'll only be work 5-8 hours a week...from what I hear...lol

Don't forget to look for stipend jobs as a research assistant. For some places, it could potentially pay for most of your school and you'll only be work 5-8 hours a week...from what I hear...lol

I'm planning on applying for an Indian Health Scholarship, from what I understand, it basically works the same way as going to school through the Army, etc. They pay for your schooling for x amount of years, and you work for them for x amount of years afterwards. So in my case, I'd work for IHS for 3 years upon graduation. That was my plan anyway, to work on an Indian reservation, so it works out.