Marriage during NS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BusterDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what i can gather, life doesn't really get much easier after NS residency, but I wanted to hear from the residents on what life is like being married during your NS residency. I'm kind of aiming this quesitons towards those that were married prior to residency only b/c I can imagine it was a whole different world than what medical school was like as a married couple. So what was the shift like, did your relationship change (better or worse), what would you have done different...etc? My wife is very understanding as it is, but it makes it easier if she has an idea of what lies ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They give you time off during NS residency to get married? :eek:

I don't really know where this came from...let me help you out, you can go back to the OP and read the part where is says "married PRIOR to residency", that might clear it up for you.;)

No NS married out there?

Well, I'll take a stab at it with my limited gensurg perspective.

If I'm remembering correctly, the NS residents, even senior ones, at my program are mostly single in contrast to GS, ortho, ENT, etc who are mostly married, as least by the time they're PGY3 or so.

NS programs are typically small (2 residents/yr at my 1000 bed hospital which has +/- 1000 residents and fellows) which means a lot of home call, late days, calls from the ER, etc.

Your wife needs to be more than understanding. She needs to be independent and your focus needs to be on helping meet her needs. If you can possibly match into a program where she has friends/family nearby, that's the place to go, even if some other program is better for you. She's going to be spending almost every waking hour without you.

She'll be happiest if she assumes you'll never be around and never be able to make firm plans for anything. She should make plans for dinner, vacations, etc as if she were single and if you get to come along that's a great surprise. If she wants to go visit friends for two weeks - she can leave. Same thing goes if you have kids. Mom and the baby(s) do their own thing and sometimes dad pops in unexpectedly.

I don't mean to make this sound horrible. Your hours are just long and unpredictable enough that if she tries to depend on your for anything, she'll be disappointed.

Oh ... if your wife equates being a good husband with some fixed measure of time, this is not going to work. You just don't have control of your time during residency. (And that will change as an attneding if you wnat it to.)

Marriage +/- kids is doable in NS. There are several residents in my home program who are married and have one or more kids. However, they usually have extra help, i.e- a nanny. I agree with the above post in that you need a spouse that is independent, cuz there will be periods of time where you won't get the chance for any meaningful interaction.

I want to go into NSG but, this information is a little concerning to me because I’m married with a kid. And I’m not sure if my wife is that independent…. And I would like to see my kid grow up

Would a couple of NSG rotation (as a med student) give me a REAL idea of what to except or do medical students have is pretty easy compared to being a resident????

Thanks for your input

I want to go into NSG but, this information is a little concerning to me because I’m married with a kid. And I’m not sure if my wife is that independent…. And I would like to see my kid grow up

Would a couple of NSG rotation (as a med student) give me a REAL idea of what to except or do medical students have is pretty easy compared to being a resident????

Thanks for your input

It would probably give you enough of the flavor, epsecially now that you have a kid. Make sure you're on a rotation where you take home call - I think that's the hardest part when for 6 days a week you never know when you'll be home.

Another consideration is that you'll also have to
1) only have 1 kid
2) wait 6+ years for #2
3) have kid(s) during residency

Of our NS residents ~1/2 are married, several have children, one has 3 - all of which he and his wife had in residency (and they look like him:laugh:). The residents are in-house far more than any other service - and needing an understanding spouse cannot be understated.

Our chief NS recently brought his family in, and was showing them around - he told me that when he showed them the call room, his oldest asked his mother, "Is this where daddy lives?"

Heartbreaking.

When you do your NS rotation, try to be there when the residents are there - don't go home early, sleep when (if) they do, etc - then after the month, ask your wife if she could do it the another 84 months of NS residency.

This thread is depressing...

I would say definitely take in-house call at your institution's county/busy hospital with the residents during a rotation to see if you can handle that lifestyle. Chances are you will be on call every 3rd night.

This thread sounds pathetic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a NS intern this year, and at the place I'm doing my internship we take call. I'm also engaged. It is definetly difficult at times, and not for any of the reasons you see on tv. I rarely at 3am have any hot chick trying to sleep with me, it's more because you get to the hospital at 5am and don't get home until 8-10pm. As long as they are understanding you can make anything work though.

Thanks for all the responses and the ideas for preparing for the future. Sorry for bringing up a depressing topic. I think it's important (for a married couple) to discuss expectations when entering into any new stage in life; since I'm not a NS resident, I didn't really know.

So how would the schedule of a NS resident and a NS attending differ?

P.S. Gen Surg responses are welcome too :)

So how would the schedule of a NS resident and a NS attending differ?

Resident: no control whatsoever over your hours
Attending: substantial control over your hours. This control is largely based on your job choice. If you want to work semi-regular hours, NS is probably in a decent position to do this because of good reimbursement and high demand. You find someplace that doesn't make you take ER call. Anybody who shows up with a head bleed gets helicoptered to your former residency program and all you have to cover is your own inpatients. You work 4 days a week split b/w OR and clinic.

This will require some sacrifice in compensation or location, but it's doable.

Now if your wife is understanding with the understanding that you'll be moving back near her parents in Boston, you're out of luck.

There is no question that an understanding wife is key. But, it can be done. My wife and I matched the same year...she waited until after I matched to find out what city she needed to interview in for pediatrics. We got married during medical school and had our first child right at the end of our fourth year. We did have a nanny during residency, and it was fairly costly, particularly given our resident salaries. But, my wife finished her pediatric residency in 3 years, and then got a job in a pediatric private practice. This helped support us (and our nanny) while I finished my training.

Neurosurgery residency, even the most benign, can be brutal at times. I trained at an excellent program that is also widely considered to be a 'gentleman's program', but this was before the 80 hour work week. We had times where we worked 5am-10 or 11 pm and took call every 3rd night. I agree that if your wife is independent and can take care of the household and plan the day to day schedule without you, all the better. If you are there, mo' better.

We had 3 more children during my 6 year residency, then moved for 1 year for my fellowship. I then took a private practice position, and my wife cut back to part time pediatrics. We then had 2 more children (for a total of 6), and my wife quit work entirely after the first of these. Now, I have been established in practice for 6 years and make a decent living. I can set my own schedule and take off whatever time I want. We have 6 great kids, including a daughter who just started high school, all the way down to an 11 month old. I rarely miss a sports event, including varsity tennis, JV field hockey, 2 separate midget football teams, baseball games, lacrosse, etc....

If you can see the forest through the trees, there really is no "good time" to get engaged, married, or to start a family. I would say do it when it seems right, and worry about the rest later.

CDK
Thanks for your post. I great to hear you can be a Neurosurgeon and have a family.

and thanks to everyone for posting ... i will take call with the residents to get a feel for the lifestyle....

Spent some time with the residents in our NS program recently... most of them were either married or engaged and seemed to live rather normal lives (or at least more so than I expected)

One chief I spent most of the day with had 2 kids and talked about how the poor lifestyle of NS residency can be over-hyped. They all seemed extremely satisfied with their career choice. He told me that you will have less time for social activities, but with a little effort and an understanding spouse, residency is do-able.

Spent some time with the residents in our NS program recently... most of them were either married or engaged and seemed to live rather normal lives (or at least more so than I expected)

One chief I spent most of the day with had 2 kids and talked about how the poor lifestyle of NS residency can be over-hyped. They all seemed extremely satisfied with their career choice. He told me that you will have less time for social activities, but with a little effort and an understanding spouse, residency is do-able.

Thanks Goose, I appreciate you asking around.

I had my wife read this thread the other night to see what she thought. Went something like this, "well, it would stink to not be able to plan things out as much or see you as much, but seeing that people have done it, with normal lives, makes me feel better." She said if I ended up liking NS and picking this specialty she'd be behind me 100%, but if I did it for the money she'd kill me :)

My wife also said that she wasn't worried about it b/c "McDreamy", from Grey's Anatomy, has a wife AND a girlfriend! :D

Thanks Goose, I appreciate you asking around.

I had my wife read this thread the other night to see what she thought. Went something like this, "well, it would stink to not be able to plan things out as much or see you as much, but seeing that people have done it, with normal lives, makes me feel better." She said if I ended up liking NS and picking this specialty she'd be behind me 100%, but if I did it for the money she'd kill me :)

If your in medicine for the $, god help you after hilliary/obamacare.

Unless you go into plastics.

If your in medicine for the $, god help you after hilliary/obamacare.

Unless you go into plastics.

I hear ya...i hate the politics/business of medicine. That's was something i always addressed on my interview trail for school. Nah, not in it for the cash, I don't really ever feel like i'll have a lot of it.

I believe it was Dr. Cox (from TV not SDN ;)) who said that he "went into medicine for the same reasons everyone does...money, power and chicks" :D.

I believe it was Dr. Cox (from TV not SDN ;)) who said that he "went into medicine for the same reasons everyone does...money, power and chicks" :D.

If I remember correctly, he went into medicine for the same four reasons that everyone does, chicks, money, power, and chicks.

Getting 1/4 (power over residents) isn't too bad I guess.