Marriage as a diversity essay topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kegar99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't really find any feedback on this by using the search function, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask. I'm working on a diversity essay for a secondary app and am thinking about talking about how I'm married. I would focus on how as a spouse, nothing is just about me anymore because I have to take into consideration how any action or decision will affect my spouse. I've also had to work on putting the needs of my wife ahead of my own, something that I think I could tie into practicing medicine unselfishly and with the needs of the patient always as top priority. However, I've only been married for <1 year, so even though I honestly feel like I've already learned a ton from my marriage, I'm not sure if adcoms would be like "Whatever, you haven't even been married that long."

I keep going back and forth on whether or not this would be a good topic. Any feedback from my fellow SDNers?

Members don't see this ad.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

I don't know how you didn't find it, but this question has been asked a hundred times!

As Goro would say, it's like saying you can breathe air

This is just a normal thing people do, it's not unique, it's not diverse, it's not the cool thing you bring to medicine

Maybe if your bride was mail order from the Phillipines and you guys didn't speak the same language it would be an interesting, although morally abhorrent, essay

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe if your bride was mail order from the Phillipines and you guys didn't speak the same language it would be an interesting, although morally abhorrent, essay
it would be better if they were the mail order bride (or groom), now what would be an interesting essay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like an essay on how your spouse trumps all other priorities. Which is a weird thing to submit to medical schools.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a terrible idea, please don't do this. Anyone can get married, it doesn't make you special. And, as was mentioned previously, it could come off as you putting other priorities ahead of medicine if laid out incorrectly. Any marriage of sufficient length to impress a adcom would likely make you too old to consider attending medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, well my wife definitely isn't from the internet or the Philippines, so I guess I'll find something else to write about. Thanks all for the feedback, I'm glad I asked before I spent a bunch of time trying to write an essay on this!

Reactions: 1 users