Marine Mammal Externship - Any help is appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beshhami

Have a little faith.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any contacts for zoos/aquariums/etc that have externships in marine mammal medicine? I am in my first year and would love any opportunity to get involved in this area of medicine. I will travel pretty much anywhere.

Also, does anyone know of any good marine mammal anatomy books?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any contacts for zoos/aquariums/etc that have externships in marine mammal medicine? I am in my first year and would love any opportunity to get involved in this area of medicine. I will travel pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT does externships.

Thanks for any help!

go to AAZV.org. They have a link to all exotic/zoo/aquarium externships. I think they may do marine mammals, as well.

http://www.aazv.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=333

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for replying so quickly.

I looked into the Mystic Aquarium and unfortunately they don't do summer externships for vet students.

I am going to have to dig a little deeper into the AAZV.org website. So far I have only found externships for 4th year students, but that looks like a great resource just the same. I will have to check some more states and hopefully I'll come across some for 1st year students as well! Thanks :)

Depends on what you are interested, but look up Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution in Ft. Pierce, Fl. Juli Goldstein is the dolphin vet and she is really great. Steve McCulloch is also an amazing contact to have in the dolphin world. They both work at Harbor Branch and they do offer a 10 wk paid externship in the summer, but a lot of it is research. However, they did just move into their new dolphin facility, so if they have dolphins while you are there you will get hands on with them. They do a lot of conservation, education and research. They also provide housing, and that part of Florida is really pretty (grew up in Vero and went to college for a bit in Ft. P)

Thanks for any help!

Did you see that email from Dr. W. last? week? AQUAVET? The entire thing is not all mammalian - there's alot of fish stuff - but I think some is marine mammal...?

http://www.aquavet.info/aquavet.htm

At the Exotics conference a few weeks ago, I could've sworn the Elsevier dude had a nice book on marine mammals... maybe check out their site/books..

Might be a stretch, but The Atlantis resort in the Bahamas I think has a nice setup. Not sure if they're mostly fish, or if they've got mammals too.

Maybe try poking around on VIN?

Marvet is another seminar like aquavet.

Gulf World Marine Park has an excellent Veterinary Externship in Panama City Beach FL. You get tons of hands on experience there. Dr. Lydia Staggs is the vet and she is awesome!

The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, Marine Mammal Center in San Francisco, Navy in San Diego and of course SeaWorld all have programs for 3 and 4 year students.

As of right now the Bohemian government will not allow US students into the Bahamas for a veterinary internship so Atlantis is not accepting vet preceptors right now.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Gulf World Marine Park has an excellent Veterinary Externship in Panama City Beach FL. You get tons of hands on experience there. Dr. Lydia Staggs is the vet and she is awesome!

Thanks for that e-mail today by the way. Sounds like fun! :D

Dr. Staggs will be at the Exotics Symposium at UT as well if anyone wants to meet her and get a chance to talk to her. We also have Dr. Rotstein coming from Washington DC to do a marine mammal necropsy wet lab and Dr. Terry Norton coming up from the GA sea turtle center.