manual dexterity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g3k

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what activities are considered to include manual dextirity???
g3k

Members don't see this ad.

g3k said:
what activities are considered to include manual dextirity???
g3k

In my undergrad university we had a predental class that was awesome in letting us show how good our manual dexterity was. We carved 5 projects out of wax, a canine, a central incisor, a bicuspid, a molar and one more of our choosing that was actually a wax up on a crown prep. Now I have 5 teeth that I have carved myself and plan on showing to adcomms if they ask me about manual dex. You could do the same yourself, just try to find a book that has instructions on how to carve teeth from wax. I don't know where this instructor got the information for the class but it looked like it came out of an old textbook from dental school or something....Other things that might impress are repair skills (cars, computers, other electronics), art, sculpture, haircutting?, whatever you do, don't mention video games, even if you could kick everyone's butt at Halo! :)

quakinator said:
In my undergrad university we had a predental class that was awesome in letting us show how good our manual dexterity was. We carved 5 projects out of wax, a canine, a central incisor, a bicuspid, a molar and one more of our choosing that was actually a wax up on a crown prep. Now I have 5 teeth that I have carved myself and plan on showing to adcomms if they ask me about manual dex. You could do the same yourself, just try to find a book that has instructions on how to carve teeth from wax. I don't know where this instructor got the information for the class but it looked like it came out of an old textbook from dental school or something....Other things that might impress are repair skills (cars, computers, other electronics), art, sculpture, haircutting?, whatever you do, don't mention video games, even if you could kick everyone's butt at Halo! :)

Thank you!!!!! I will try and do that. :thumbup:

g3k

Members don't see this ad :)
Another common one is playing a musical instrument. I did a visit at a school where the dean asked if I played a musical instrument and if I was involved in any sports as well.

Anything that requires the use of your hands to complete a task: ten key, playing a musical instrument, jewelry making, painting, sculpture, and so on. I believe that you can put down pretty much any sort of 'manual' experience as long as you can justify it if it comes up in an interview (i.e. playing video games, rock climbing).

quakinator said:
In my undergrad university we had a predental class that was awesome in letting us show how good our manual dexterity was. We carved 5 projects out of wax, a canine, a central incisor, a bicuspid, a molar and one more of our choosing that was actually a wax up on a crown prep. Now I have 5 teeth that I have carved myself and plan on showing to adcomms if they ask me about manual dex.

Dr. Vogel's class rocks, and adcoms are VERY impressed by work from that class.

Dental school requirements are much more difficult than Vogel's requirements, but you ARE well on your way! Nice job.

Guitar, piano, ten key, heck, some people even use video games as an activity to develop manual dexterity.

ItsGavinC said:
Dr. Vogel's class rocks, and adcoms are VERY impressed by work from that class.

Dental school requirements are much more difficult than Vogel's requirements, but you ARE well on your way! Nice job.

I disagree Gavin. I never got out of the mid-80's on my scores in Vogel's class, and I got an A- on my first wax-up here. I think it is easier to just wax up a crown prep than carve the root as well. Just my opinion though. :D

Do you think mercy champion counts? :laugh:

i've heard someone put down "being able to use chopsticks" as manual dexterity. as for mercy champion...i dunno...that's more wrist and palm...maybe if you said thumbwars (1..2..3..4..i declare a thumbwar!)