Management of splenic infarction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cadet133

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear different thoughts on management. Some say just pain control others say anticoagulate them even though their cirrhotic. Assuming infarction is from hypercoagble state. Ll

Members don't see this ad.

I hear different thoughts on management. Some say just pain control others say anticoagulate them even though their cirrhotic. Assuming infarction is from hypercoagble state. Ll

How can you assume it’s from hypercoaguable state. It could be from decreased cardiac output or septic embolism

Fortunately this is GI, and the only time I have run into this is when ed/primary calls about persistent LUQ pain and I have to point out it's prob related to the splenic infarct on CT and I can't cure it with a scope and they should call someone else.....IE,vascular/heme consult. If you are referring to mesenteric disorders/thrombosis/PVT specifically ACG, released new guidelines on this earlier this year