malpractice premium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LasagnaBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious..what is the average medical malpractice premium for a dermatologist? I tried looking online, but all the information seems to be dated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

depends where you're looking

I only know about the northeast region and here, it's about 10K but will probably increase to 15K within the next couple of years or so (rates for docs in PA are slightly higher than these estimates. And it should be noted that these rates are for non-cosmetic dermatologists)

Its less than 10K in most states for a general derm who does limited cosmetic procedures but its going up with everything else.Derm is not the lowest but its among the lower risk specialties. Laser resurfacing,liposuction etc bounce you up significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
In certain states (ie, non-tort reform), the malpractice premium difference between general derm and cosmetics including tumescent lipo is huge. In IL, general derm is about 20K after 5-7 yrs in practice, compared with 95-110K just doing a little lipo. Kinda makes you want to move to Indiana or Texas or anywhere the lawyers can't screw you.

'tis true.... insurance premiums are unlikely to break the bank in any state, IF you're doing general dermatology. If you move into the cosmetic/plastic related fields, the chance of you and your insurer increases dramatically, and thus it goes with your previously low premiums.