Malignant Prelim Programs in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any buzz on the above?

Members don't see this ad.

I like your name (are you pre-ophtho??? :D ). The list of programs on more malignant side goes like this: Arrowhead transitional, UCLA, USC, Harbor-UCLA. Programs to shoot for are (in the order of more to less cush): SB Cottage, Huntington Memorial, White Memorial, Kaiser-LA, West LA VA, Olive-View (it's a county hospital, but several of my friends had good experiences there). Cedars has more ward/ICU months, but I like their program set up (plenty of residents, early/late call system, location...). Hope this helps.

JR said:
I like your name (are you pre-ophtho??? :D ). The list of programs on more malignant side goes like this: Arrowhead transitional, UCLA, USC, Harbor-UCLA. Programs to shoot for are (in the order of more to less cush): SB Cottage, Huntington Memorial, White Memorial, Kaiser-LA, West LA VA, Olive-View (it's a county hospital, but several of my friends had good experiences there). Cedars has more ward/ICU months, but I like their program set up (plenty of residents, early/late call system, location...). Hope this helps.

This is the same as what I've heard for the LA area. I'd drop White Memorial lower on the list, especially if you don't know Spanish. Scripps Mercy transitional in San Diego is supposedly the holy grail of transitional/prelim years. Any of the Kaiser hospitals are supposed to be good. Both St. Mary's as well. Someone I know went to CPMC and really liked it because he learned a lot, but he also said that it was a lot of work. In general, if it's an academic center with a large categorical program, it will be more on the malignant side for prelims.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was told last year by former prelims from kaiser/santa clara to avoid it like the plague. little autonomy, precious little teaching, mainly a workhorse for the hospital. that said, as interns we basically are just little scut monkeys for the most part. :p

of the 3 prelim programs in the south bay (san jose area), i personally rank them as Santa Clara Valley > Stanford > Kaiser. valley is easier overall than stanford (or so i've heard), with a very different patient population (mainly lower socio-economic, immigrant) and not as many fellows (on my cards rotation, it was just me, a resident, and the attending). my intern class (including prelims, transitionals, and categoricals) is pretty tight and we try to do social stuff on a weekly basis. most of the attendings i've met are friendly and very collegial (especially the pulm/crit care guys); some of them are fantastic teachers.

valley is q4 overnight on both the wards and in the unit and at valley you have generally ~6 call months during your intern year, including 1-2 unit months and 1 month up at stanford or the palo alto VA. stanford is q4 on the wards, q3-q4 in the unit (q3 at the VA). kaiser is easier, q5 on the wards and no overnight.

and for those that care, i remember kaiser having a large number of FMGs, while stanford and valley are primarily US grads. remember, take my opinions w/ a grain of salt, given that i'm a valley intern this year.