Male, DO - OBGYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend a DO student (male) go into OBGYN if they were top 5% of their class and scored a 240 on the USMLE? I have discouraged (consistently) about entering this field as a male. I really do love the mix of surgery and medicine. I would probably enter one of the surgical subspecialties if I entered the field.

Members don't see this ad.

Pick about a half dozen residency programs in which you might be interested, and look through their current residents. I'm predicting that you'll find a male DO resident at least once. And you'll find a bunch of male USMDs and male IMGs.

There was a recent thread here about being male and doing ob/gyn, so browse down.

You should be aware that ob/gyn is now one of the residencies that matches 100%. That 240 helps.

Best of luck to you.

If you love it, go for it. It's just not a male-heavy applicant pool any more, so you have to be okay with the idea of being the only guy in your class, if not your whole program. But there are programs out there actively seeking males, so apply smart (ie, research programs that take DOs) and you should do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
ld you recommend a DO student (male) go into OBGYN if they were top 5% of their class and scored a 240 on the USMLE? I have discouraged (consistently) about entering t

From a current male resident: I don't think being male puts you at any kind of disadvantage. If anything it gives you a (perhaps unfair) edge, as you will stand out at the interview day. I'm not sure how DOs fair in the match, there aren't any at my program, but my program isn't particularly representative of the OB/GYN world. Certainly your board scores and top 5% would put you in good standing as an applicant at most programs.

Good luck. Follow your dreams.